Renewal due: raise R$17,450 rent toward R$19,830 or keep a reliable tenant?

My tenant pays R$17,450, while comparable market rent is about R$19,830. They always pay on time, report problems early and look after the property, so I am reluctant to risk that stability. On the other hand, I do not want the gap to keep widening.

Would you make a small predictable increase, freeze the rent, or combine improvements with a rent review? I would especially like to know what detail—vacancy time, maintenance history, turnover cost or something else—would decide it for you.
 
I would choose a modest increase rather than jump straight to R$19,830. The detail that decides it for me is payment reliability: the highest theoretical rent is not necessarily the best return if changing tenants brings vacancy, preparation costs and uncertainty. Give the required notice, explain the increase clearly and set a future review date so neither side gets a surprise.
 
Before choosing an amount, how firm is that market figure? Is it based on asking rents or on genuinely comparable occupied properties? Condition matters too. If this property needs improvements to compete at R$19,830, the gap is smaller than it appears.

I would also check the tenancy terms and local notice rules before suggesting any arrangement, including how a renewal might affect deposit handling.
 
I disagree with freezing it simply because the tenant is excellent. That can make the eventual correction harder for both sides. But improvements should not be used as vague justification either: agree exactly what will be done, when, and what increase follows.

A practical approach is to estimate the cost of even a short vacancy plus turnover work, then compare that with the R$2,380 monthly gap. That gives you a defensible ceiling for a retention-friendly increase rather than treating market rent as an automatic target.
 
Back
Top