Relist now after buyer’s financing failed in Mexico City?

sam.archer

Homeowner
A buyer has dropped out of my Mexico City sale over funding, so I now have to decide how much preparation is sensible before putting the property back on the market. The cancellation was not caused by the inspection, but I expect people viewing a relisted property to ask about it.

Would you pause to update the file and review completed comparables, or return to market quickly with a brief explanation? For the next offer, I’m inclined to give more weight to verified financing, appraisal-gap capacity and workable deadlines than to the highest number alone. I’m also unsure whether price adjustments or repair credits would improve the deal without adding unnecessary risk. Any contractual or deposit consequences specific to Mexico would need to be separated from my own negotiating preferences.
 
I’d take a short pause to refresh the paperwork, then relist with a simple, accurate explanation: buyer financing failed; no inspection issue caused the cancellation. Before choosing the next offer, compare financing proof and deadlines, not only price.

What evidence did the first buyer provide, and did the agreement specify a financing response deadline or what happened to the deposit? Those details may show whether the weakness was screening or the contract structure.
 
One caveat to my own answer: stronger proof of funds does not eliminate an appraisal gap. I’d also look at recent completed comparables and ask how a financed buyer plans to cover any difference between the agreed price and appraisal. Deposit exposure and cancellation consequences are Mexico-specific and contract-specific, so those points should be clarified with the notary or local counsel rather than treated as negotiating preferences.
 
I wouldn’t delay merely because the failed deal may look awkward. If the documents are current, relist and give a calm explanation. A long unexplained absence could create more questions than a prompt return.

I also wouldn’t automatically take less. Compare the whole offer: financing evidence, response deadline, inspection protection, proposed repair credits, appraisal-gap plan and deposit terms. Seller motivation matters too—certainty may justify a discount if timing is important, but otherwise set firmer terms and let the market respond.
 
Back
Top