cyclesAndHearth
First-time buyer
Twelve days looks quick, but the sample may be too narrow to mean much. These are notes from January 2026 on four-bedroom new-build flats in Chicago, with asking prices between $196,000 and $294,000.
I kept the group separate from citywide figures, although differences in condition, specification and neighbourhood may still distort the comparison. Transaction costs also appear to change the buyer’s overall calculation more than the advertised monthly figure. Listings and price cuts are visible, but I have much less evidence on completed sales, withdrawals and concessions.
Before calling this a market shift, would you first expand the time period, verify recent completed prices, or track how soon reductions occur?
I kept the group separate from citywide figures, although differences in condition, specification and neighbourhood may still distort the comparison. Transaction costs also appear to change the buyer’s overall calculation more than the advertised monthly figure. Listings and price cuts are visible, but I have much less evidence on completed sales, withdrawals and concessions.
Before calling this a market shift, would you first expand the time period, verify recent completed prices, or track how soon reductions occur?