Pricing the risk of a future special assessment on a small Bengaluru apartment

sanna_rates

Homeowner
If the possible ₹4,008,000 charge applies to this unit rather than the whole project, getting this decision wrong could overwhelm the economics of a 35 m² apartment. The Bengaluru building has limited reserves, and owners are considering substantial exterior work, but the scope and funding have not reached a final decision.

I plan to review several years of minutes, reserve accounts, insurance cover and the maintenance schedule. What else would show whether the work is urgent, how costs would be allocated and how quickly owners might have to pay?

My decision rule is becoming fairly simple: if that figure is a credible near-term share for this apartment, I would need a major price adjustment or walk away. If it is a project-wide estimate, I would instead assess this unit’s allocation, management workload and insurance exposure. I am also concerned that unresolved work could deter tenants or make resale difficult.
 
First establish what the ₹4,008,000 represents: the whole project, one phase, or the possible share for this apartment. Without the allocation method, the figure is almost meaningless.

I’d also ask for audited accounts, owner arrears, recent contractor proposals, the exact scope of the exterior work and minutes from several earlier meetings. Repeated discussion without a defined scope can be more worrying than a large but properly costed project.
 
Has anyone explained why the reserve is thin? Low monthly contributions, recent major repairs and poor collection from owners lead to very different conclusions. Also ask whether essential work has already been deferred. If water ingress or structural deterioration is driving the discussion, delay could increase both the cost and insurance exposure.
 
One more point: find out how quickly the association can realistically collect a large amount and what happens to the work if some owners do not pay on time. Even if your own share is manageable, slow collection could leave the building under repair for longer, making vacancy, tenant demand and resale harder to judge.
 
I wouldn’t automatically reject it just because the reserves are low. A smaller apartment may still work if the purchase price leaves a substantial buffer and the proposed allocation is clear. But I would not price the risk from the highest rumour alone.

Ask the seller for written clarification from the association, then compare three cases: no assessment, the current likely scope, and a higher-cost outcome. Include disruption, higher maintenance, energy implications of the exterior work and the possibility of selling while the issue remains unresolved. If the deal only looks attractive in the first case, the margin is too thin.
 
Back
Top