Phoenix warehouses: what sits behind 62 days on market?

anika_vale

Real estate agent
Established
Completed-sale information is the constraint here; asking prices are much easier to collect. My Phoenix sample covers mostly warehouses advertised from $484,000 to $726,000, with a typical visibility period of 62 days.

I first assumed condition and deferred maintenance explained which properties moved and which remained advertised. That now feels too narrow because relistings, seller expectations, buyer financing and bursts of new inventory could all distort the pattern. What would you separate first: subarea, occupancy, condition or timing of the initial price cut? I am treating the 62 days as observed listing visibility rather than official continuous market time.
 
Condition could explain part of it, but 62 days of visibility is not necessarily 62 uninterrupted days on the market. Withdrawals, relistings and changes between agents can distort the picture. I’d separate clearly maintained buildings from obvious project properties, then track price cuts and disappeared listings rather than assuming every disappearance was a sale.
 
A citywide sample preserves more listings, while a tightly drawn subarea may leave too little evidence; neither choice is entirely comfortable. Even so, the $484,000 to $726,000 band could contain warehouses serving very different buyers, so I would at least group them by subarea before comparing their 62-day visibility.

Occupancy could alter the result just as much. A vacant building aimed at an owner-user depends heavily on that buyer’s financing and fit-out needs, whereas a tenant-backed property is judged partly on its income and lease position. If those two groups behave differently, apparent condition may not be the deciding factor.
 
I’m not convinced maintenance should be the lead explanation. A tidy warehouse can still sit if the seller is anchored to an ambitious figure or if the likely buyers cannot make the financing work. Conversely, a rough building may move quickly when the price reflects the work. The timing of the first reduction would be more revealing than visible condition by itself.
 
I would not choose between condition and financing yet, because the listing history should indicate which explanation deserves more weight. Record each warehouse’s subarea, first and last observed dates, occupancy, apparent condition, price changes, withdrawals, relistings and any completed price that can later be verified.

Then use a simple rule. If maintained and rough properties both linger until a reduction, pricing or finance is the stronger lead. If similarly priced buildings split consistently by condition, investigate the repair burden. Keep sold, withdrawn and merely absent from advertising as separate outcomes, and ask the listing agent about vanished stock when the status cannot be confirmed.
 
That distinction helps. My 62 days is based on first and last visibility in the sample, not an official continuous market-time figure, so I’ll relabel it and look for relistings. I also haven’t separated vacant owner-user stock from tenant-backed offerings. I’ll split by subarea and occupancy, then compare condition with price-cut timing before treating maintenance as the main cause.
 
Back
Top