Phoenix agent looking for a useful US starting point

anika_vale

Real estate agent
Established
I’m torn between starting with Phoenix data and looking at national comparisons first. The local route is more relevant, but it can also keep assumptions inside one market.

I’m a Phoenix real estate agent currently interested in duplexes, purchase costs and the difference between listing figures and completed prices. I would especially like discussions that show how property management, mortgage choices and renovation costs are built into an analysis, including questions that come up on a first purchase.

Is there a particular forum section, thread or US data source that would make a useful starting point?
 
Welcome. I’d begin with the local board, then look for discussions that separate listing data from completed sales. County records can add context, although timing and coverage may differ from listing-system data. Duplex threads are especially useful when members show how they account for vacancy, repairs, management and purchase costs rather than discussing price alone.
 
What comparison are you trying to make first: Phoenix against another city, or one Phoenix duplex against similar completed transactions? The answer changes what data is useful. For a first purchase model, I’d also want to know whether you plan to assume professional property management and whether renovation is included at acquisition.
 
I’d be cautious about starting with a broad city-to-city comparison. Different property definitions and transaction-cost assumptions can make a neat spreadsheet misleading. A smaller exercise—several genuinely comparable duplexes, with advertised and completed prices kept in separate columns—would probably expose the data gaps faster.
 
A practical reading order might be: local market-data discussions, first-purchase questions, property-management costs, investment modelling, renovation, mortgage comparisons, then legal checklists. Keep a note beside every figure showing its date, geography and whether it is an asking or completed price. Legal and lending details vary by jurisdiction, so those are worth confirming locally before using another market’s assumptions.
 
Back
Top