Phoenix 5-bed at $945,000: adjusting from one completed sale

anika_vale

Real estate agent
Established
I’m assessing a 5-bed detached home in Phoenix, approximately 1,940 sq ft and in average condition, at a $945,000 asking price. The light and location appeal; the finishes are dated, and local supply costs could make improvements harder to estimate.

I found three asking-price comparables but only one completed sale. How would you handle the floor-area and condition adjustments without creating false precision? Which missing fact—micro-location, parking, outdoor space or something else—could move the valuation most?

For the rental calculation I used eleven months of rent, but I suspect the repair reserve may be light. I’ll obtain a formal local appraisal before relying on any figure.
 
I would anchor the analysis to the completed sale and use the three listings mainly to understand current competition. Asking prices do not show what buyers ultimately accepted.

For floor area, avoid applying the neighborhood’s average price per square foot to every difference; extra space usually needs to be compared on a like-for-like basis. For condition, separate dated-but-functional finishes from items requiring near-term replacement. Exact micro-location would be my biggest missing fact.
 
How close is the sold comparable in location, layout and condition, and how recent is it? With five bedrooms inside 1,940 sq ft, room utility matters as much as the bedroom count. I’d also want the lot/outdoor arrangement and parking details. A smaller home with better parking and a more usable plan may deserve little or no downward adjustment.
 
That helps. I was treating all 1,940 sq ft alike rather than asking how efficiently it is arranged. I also don’t yet have sufficiently verified details on the parking, outdoor space or whether the completed sale had genuinely comparable finishes.

I’ll rebuild the comparison around those points. On the rental side, my eleven-month figure was intended as an allowance for time without rent, not evidence from the lease, so I need to keep that assumption separate from the sales valuation.
 
I’m not convinced micro-location is automatically the largest adjustment here. If both properties are within the same buyer search area, uncertainty about condition could dominate. “Dated” might mean cosmetic choices, or it might hide several expensive replacements.

I’d run three condition cases: finishes remain as-is, selective updating, and broader work. Base each on actual scope and local estimates rather than a generic percentage discount.
 
The eleven-month rent treatment may cover a vacancy assumption, but it does not replace a repair and capital-expenditure schedule. List the major components, their known condition and what has not been inspected, then test the cash flow under a heavier reserve.

Also clarify whether the home is occupied and, if so, the lease length and current rent. Any recurring HOA-type charge should be included if applicable; don’t assume the tenant absorbs it.
 
Yara’s condition cases make sense, but be careful not to double-count. If the completed comparable was already renovated and you deduct the full improvement cost, its sale price may also reflect buyer preference for move-in-ready condition. A practical grid would compare location, usable floor area, layout, condition, parking and outdoor space, with a short explanation for every adjustment rather than one blended percentage.
 
Parking and outdoor space can also change which properties are true alternatives. I would search beyond five-bedroom listings and include nearby detached homes with similar total area and utility. Buyers may compare this house with a better-planned four-bedroom property rather than another nominal five-bedroom. That could reveal whether the fifth bedroom adds value or simply divides the same 1,940 sq ft more tightly.
 
There isn’t enough here to support a responsible dollar adjustment range. I’d make the next steps: verify the sold comp’s closing date and exact micro-location; compare its lot, parking and layout; grade each property as functional, selectively dated or requiring replacement; and obtain estimates for identifiable work. Then derive the floor-area adjustment from the closest paired evidence available, not a citywide price-per-square-foot figure.
 
One further distinction: keep the owner-occupier valuation and rental analysis on separate sheets. The lease length, vacancy allowance, recurring charges and repair reserve affect the investment case, while the sold comparable and competing listings inform market value. Only combine them at the end when deciding whether $945,000 works for your intended use.
 
Back
Top