Phoenix 2-bed villa at $845,000 and $4,004/month — does the yield hold up?

esme.snow

Real estate agent
Established
If I get the rent or carrying costs wrong, this could become an expensive low-return purchase. The property is a two-bedroom Phoenix villa priced at $845,000, and the projected rent is $4,004 a month. That works out to about 5.7% gross before expenses, with no appreciation assumed.

The headline return is attractive enough to investigate, but not enough to absorb many bad assumptions. I have allowed for ordinary vacancy, management, routine upkeep and a substantial repair, yet transaction costs could still weaken the result. I also need to test financing rather than view the deal only on an unlevered basis.

Which Phoenix expense deserves a firm quote rather than an estimate—insurance, property tax, HOA dues, cooling work or tenant turnover? And after financing and downtime, what stabilized net yield would make the remaining risk worthwhile?
 
The annual rent is $48,048, so the 5.7% headline figure is right. But one vacant month would reduce rent to $44,044, or about 5.2% of the purchase price, before management, repairs, tax and insurance. I’d verify property tax and obtain an insurance quote rather than estimate either. Also, does this villa have HOA dues? Those could make an already narrow spread much thinner.
 
Is $4,004 supported by signed rent, achieved comparables, or just the listing agent’s expectation? That matters more than fine-tuning a maintenance percentage.

Also, are you buying with cash? If financed, the rate, term and down payment could turn a modest unlevered return into negative cash flow. I’d include leasing costs and downtime between tenants separately from ordinary vacancy.
 
I wouldn’t automatically budget a full vacant month every year as Bianca’s example might imply. It’s a useful stress case, not necessarily the base case. The bigger issue is separating recurring maintenance from replacements. In Phoenix, I’d specifically price the age and condition of the cooling equipment, while keeping roof or other major work in a distinct reserve.
 
There isn’t one compensating yield without knowing the financing and HOA position. Personally, with no appreciation in the case and all the risk concentrated in one 2-bed property, I’d want the stabilized unlevered net yield clearly above 4%; around 4.5% would be my minimum target. Starting from only 5.7% gross, reaching that after every cost may be difficult.
 
Build two versions using the all-in acquisition cost, not just $845,000. For the base case, enter the actual tax figure, an insurance quote, any HOA dues, management and realistic turnover costs. Then stress it with lower rent, extra vacancy and a major cooling repair. If financed, use the quoted loan terms and test a renewal or refinance at a less favorable rate. That will show whether this is a durable deal or one dependent on every assumption going right.
 
Back
Top