Paris newcomer: where should I start with French market data?

SharpMeadow

Architect
Verified Pro
My immediate problem is deciding how to organise the reading without disappearing into dozens of unrelated Paris threads. I’m an architect, and my interest currently spans new-build flats, renovation, purchase costs and the difference between listing figures and recorded sales.

I would also like enough structure to compare France with other markets rather than treating Paris in isolation. Should I begin on the local board, build a small set of market-data sources, or work through the first-buyer discussions first?
 
Welcome. I’d start on the local board and separate three things in your notes: asking prices, completed-sale data, and total acquisition cost. They answer different questions, and combining them too early can make a new-build premium look more straightforward than it is. After that, the mortgage-comparison and legal-checklist threads should reveal which costs people commonly overlook.
 
Are you researching for a possible first home, an investment model, or mainly professional interest? The most useful reading order changes. An owner-occupier may care more about financing and the building itself, while an investment comparison also needs assumptions for management, vacancy, and future work.
 
Before choosing the first dataset, Rosa probably needs to decide what question the comparison is meant to answer. Recorded sales are tempting because they feel more definite, but an older resale may be a poor benchmark for a current new-build flat once specification, condition, timing and renovation are separated out.

I would first choose between a home-buying question, an investment exercise and professional research. Then compare only a few properties under consistent headings. That is less exciting than collecting prices immediately, but it avoids spending weeks perfecting a comparison that cannot support the eventual decision.
 
A practical sequence could be: read recent Paris discussions, make a one-page list of all transaction and financing costs you encounter, then compare a few new-build and resale examples using the same headings. Keep renovation separate rather than hiding it inside the purchase price. Once your model exposes the missing numbers, ask targeted questions on the mortgage, management, or legal threads; members can respond much more usefully to a specific gap.
 
Back
Top