Paris mixed-use purchase: what should be outside the initial closing estimate?

otis.elm

Buyer
Established
I’m building a realistic cost checklist for a mixed-use building in Paris priced at about €1,205,000. Transfer tax, registration and notary/legal costs are the obvious headings, but I’m less clear about ownership structures, recurring property charges and what changes with residency.

I also want to consider eventual capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning before choosing how to hold it. What commonly sits outside the first estimate, and which questions should go to a licensed local professional? I’m looking for a second-opinion checklist rather than personal legal or tax advice.
 
Ask for separate written scenarios rather than one percentage for “closing costs”: personal ownership versus any structure you are considering, and resident versus non-resident treatment if that is unsettled. For each, request acquisition costs, annual charges and likely exit or inheritance issues.

Also clarify how the residential and commercial portions are treated. Is either part occupied, leased or subject to shared-building charges? Those facts may matter more than the headline price.
 
That helps. I had been treating the ownership structure as a decision to make after receiving the cost estimate, but it sounds as though the estimate cannot be meaningful without choosing—or at least comparing—structures first.

I’ll ask for parallel scenarios and provide the use and occupancy details for each part. What level of breakdown should I expect under the broad “notary costs” heading?
 
I would ask the notary to itemise what is tax, what is registration-related, what is professional remuneration and what consists of third-party expenses or adjustments. Otherwise a single total is difficult to compare with another estimate.

Also ask which amounts are final and which are provisional. I would not rely on forum experiences for a number here, because the building’s mixed use and the proposed ownership route could make another buyer’s total a poor comparison.
 
One caveat: don’t let the cheapest acquisition scenario decide the structure. A route that looks efficient at closing may be less suitable for annual taxation, a later sale or inheritance. Residency can also change during a long holding period.

I’d give the adviser a simple timeline: intended use now, whether income is expected from either portion, likely holding period, possible future residency and who should inherit. If there are common areas or shared services, request the latest annual charges and any known planned expenditure separately from government charges.
 
A practical way to finish the checklist is three columns: due at signing, recurring annually, and triggered later by sale, change of residency or inheritance. Beside every line, note who calculated it and which assumption they used.

Before proceeding, ask the notary and tax adviser to flag any disagreement between their scenarios, especially over mixed use and ownership structure. That is more useful than trying to force every cost into the initial closing quote.
 
Back
Top