Paris listing agent wants to act for buyer on €1,168,000 offer

way.wise

Real estate agent
Founding Member
An early €1,168,000 offer is appealing. My concern is that our Paris listing agent also wants to deal with the buyer, which could blur who receives confidential information and who is actually negotiating for us.

Before agreeing, I would ask for the representation and conflict arrangements in writing, along with the fee structure and the process for recording and presenting offers. Should we also insist on separate named contacts for each side? I would like to confirm whether the setup is permitted in France, whether the buyer has shown an ability to proceed, and whether accepting now would cut short the photography and market exposure we originally expected.
 
I would first ask whom the agent is contractually representing and what duties they say they owe to each side. Get the answer and any conflict disclosure in writing. Also ask whether either party’s fee changes, who receives confidential information, and whether the same named contact will conduct both negotiations. If the answers are vague, convenience is not worth it.
 
Has the offer itself been put in writing, and what buyer qualification has been provided? An early offer is only fast if the buyer can proceed. I would also ask whether full marketing had started—particularly whether the agreed photography was completed—before deciding that €1,168,000 reflects enough market exposure.
 
I would not reject it automatically. One channel can reduce delays and misunderstandings. But that is transaction coordination, not independent negotiating advice. The practical test is whether the agent openly acknowledges that limitation rather than claiming to advocate fully for both sides. I would keep my own price limits private and have the documents examined independently.
 
The fee basis matters more than it may appear. If the agent earns the same only when this buyer completes, that incentive should be understood before you rely on their assessment of the offer. Ask what happens if the deal falls through: does marketing resume, who contacts other interested parties, and is the photography/listing work still included?
 
Gabriel’s point about getting the role in writing is the starting place. I would send one short list: legal basis for the arrangement in France, named contact for each party, confidentiality boundaries, fees, buyer qualification, offer-handling process, expected response times and fall-through support. Then have a France-based notaire or lawyer confirm the legal position and wording before accepting. Speed is useful only after those gaps are closed.
 
Back
Top