Paris 3-bed serviced apartment: does €4,266/month justify €1,164,000?

knitsAndBeam

Landlord
€4,266 a month against a €1,164,000 purchase price gives the advertised 4.4% gross yield, but that is before acquisition costs and may not represent what reaches the owner. The property is a 3-bed serviced apartment in Paris.

I have included empty periods, management, normal upkeep and a separate allowance for major repairs. The harder question is whether building charges or planned common works could permanently weaken the return. For example, a lift or façade project would not be captured by a routine maintenance percentage.

I also need to confirm whether €4,266 is occupant revenue or the owner’s amount after operator costs, and who covers cleaning, utilities and furniture replacement. What ownership expense or financing sensitivity would you stress-test most heavily before deciding whether the net return is adequate?
 
The first figure I would investigate is the apartment’s share of building charges and planned major works. A building can look sound while still facing expensive common-area, roof, lift or façade spending. Ask for recent co-ownership meeting records, budgets and the apartment’s allocated share. I would calculate yield on the full acquisition cost, not just €1,164,000.
 
Is €4,266 the amount paid to the owner after the serviced-apartment operator takes its fee, or the amount charged to occupants? Also, who pays utilities, cleaning, linen and furniture replacement? Until those are separated, the 4.4% figure is not really comparable with an ordinary residential rental yield.
 
I wouldn’t start by choosing an acceptable net yield. Start with annual cash flow under three rent scenarios, including one with a longer vacancy and higher turnover costs. Then add financing at today’s quoted terms and at a less favourable renewal or refinancing assumption. A modest gross yield leaves little room for several small estimates to be wrong at once.
 
There is a counterpoint: if the serviced arrangement gives the owner predictable contractual income, modelling frequent tenant turnover may be too pessimistic. The operator’s financial strength and the exact agreement could matter more than occupant churn. On the other hand, if the €4,266 is merely an occupancy forecast, I would treat it much more cautiously.
 
Don’t combine routine maintenance and furniture into one smooth percentage. A 3-bed serviced apartment can have uneven replacement costs, while the building can issue separate calls for common works. I’d keep distinct lines for apartment maintenance, furnishings, co-ownership charges, major works, insurance and property tax. That makes it easier to see which assumption is carrying the deal.
 
Agreed on separating the lines, although an extremely detailed model can create false confidence. The decisive missing items remain simple: actual amount reaching the owner, responsibility for operating expenses, annual building charges, property tax, and any works already discussed. If the seller or broker cannot provide those clearly, I would not assign much value to the projected rent.
 
I’d also compare cash purchase and financed returns separately. Debt can make the equity return look better while turning a small vacancy or repair into negative cash flow. For the unleveraged case, divide sustainable annual net income by purchase price plus transaction costs and initial furnishing or works. For financing, include all loan payments rather than relying on the property yield.
 
My practical next step would be to request a trailing breakdown of rent actually collected and every deduction, not just an annual projection. Reconcile that with the serviced contract, co-ownership budgets and meeting records, insurance, property tax, and any planned works. Then rerun the deal with lower rent and a delayed reletting period. If it only works at €4,266 every month, the margin looks too thin.
 
Back
Top