Osaka townhouse: raise rent or prioritise a reliable tenant?

knitsAndHarbor

Property investor
Established
I have a five-bedroom townhouse in Osaka rented for about ¥380,000. Comparable asking rent appears to be near ¥459,500, but the current tenant pays reliably and takes good care of the property.

I’m considering a modest increase rather than trying to reach the full asking figure, because vacancy, refurbishment and tenant turnover could erase much of the gain. Self-management also became harder after I moved farther away. What information would you use to set a fair increase, and how would you approach the tenant while observing the applicable local notice and lease requirements?
 
I would not treat ¥459,500 as the target until you know comparable homes actually let near that amount. Start with the cost of losing this tenant: likely vacancy time, work needed between tenancies and any reletting expenses. Then compare that with the extra annual rent from a modest adjustment. A reliable tenant has a real financial value, even if it does not appear in the advertised rent.
 
How close are those comparables in age, condition, floor area and access to transport? Five bedrooms narrows the field, so one or two unusual listings could distort the apparent market. Also look at how long they have been advertised. An asking price without evidence of demand is a weak reason to risk a good tenancy.
 
I agree about verifying the comparables, but I would not let payment reliability become a reason never to adjust the rent. The gap is ¥79,500 per month, which is large enough to examine seriously.

Before approaching the tenant, review the lease terms, contract type and maintenance history, then have someone familiar with current Osaka requirements confirm what notice and process apply. A smaller, clearly explained proposal may preserve goodwill better than either doing nothing or demanding the advertised maximum.
 
Is the rent decision being mixed up with the distance problem? If self-management is now inconvenient, price local management separately from turnover. Keeping the current tenant and appointing someone for inspections, repairs and communication could solve the practical issue without creating a vacancy.
 
The full gap annualises to ¥954,000, but that is only the theoretical upside if ¥459,500 is genuinely achievable and there is no vacancy. Put three scenarios on paper: retain at ¥380,000, agree a modest increase, or re-let near market. Against the third, include empty months, preparation work and ongoing management. That should show how much increase is actually worth risking the tenancy for.
 
Add deposit handling to that plan before assuming refurbishment will be covered. What can be charged, retained or returned depends on the lease, the property’s condition and the rules applying to the tenancy. Document the condition and distinguish tenant-caused damage from ordinary wear rather than building the decision around an uncertain deposit recovery.
 
Adding the deposit point changes the question for me: how much of an increase still makes sense if none of the between-tenancy work can safely be offset against it? I would combine that with the three scenarios already suggested and review the maintenance history, realistic market rent and likely turnover costs.

When approaching the tenant, I would not lead with ¥459,500 as though advertised comparables settle the issue. A reasoned proposal below that level, supported by genuinely similar townhouses and the property’s upkeep costs, leaves room for discussion. If the lease permits it and both sides agree, phasing the change may preserve a reliable ¥380,000 tenancy while moving the rent closer to the market.
 
mortiz’s three-scenario calculation is the useful core here, but Grace’s point determines whether the numbers mean anything. I’d first gather genuinely similar five-bedroom listings and note how long they remain available. Then obtain an estimate for any between-tenancy work and a separate management quote. Only after confirming the lease and notice position would I approach the tenant with a reasoned, below-market proposal rather than the full ¥79,500 increase.
 
Back
Top