Osaka listings: vacancy, stale stock and the street-level picture

AdaLee

Property investor
There are more Osaka listings, just not many I would actually buy. I’m looking at property between ¥176,300,000 and ¥264,400,000, mostly detached homes, and the typical listing in my sample has been visible for 11 days.

My working theory is that vacancy helps explain the split between quick sales and stock that lingers. Does that fit what local owners or agents are seeing? I’m especially interested in completed sales, withdrawals and when price cuts begin.
 
Vacancy may be part of it, but 11 days alone does not tell you much about stale stock. New-listing volume can make the market look busier even if completed sales have not changed, while withdrawn and relisted homes can appear fresh again. I’d separate occupied and vacant properties, then compare their condition and original asking prices with recent completed sales.
 
I would not start by dividing the sample into vacant and occupied homes, tempting though that is. At ¥176,300,000 to ¥264,400,000, neighbourhood, condition and financing eligibility may produce bigger differences between buyer pools.

First define a narrow area and check whether the 11-day measure covers only live advertisements or also properties that completed or disappeared. Once those categories are consistent, vacancy becomes a more useful comparison rather than a possible stand-in for location or condition.
 
Eleven days is too early to label a withdrawal as failed stock. The owner may have changed plans, while another home could remain advertised because it is overpriced or needs work.

Record each property as completed, reduced or withdrawn, then add its occupancy and condition. That shifts the decision away from assuming every disappearance signals weak demand and towards checking whether vacant homes actually sell faster, receive earlier cuts or simply carry more defects.
 
Agreed on separating the outcomes. I’d also record the first price-cut date rather than only the latest asking price, and compare like-for-like properties within the same neighbourhood boundary. If financing is suspected, flag it as unknown unless the listing provides something concrete. After a few weeks, the useful comparison will be which homes completed or vanished—not just how many crossed the 11-day mark.
 
Back
Top