Osaka first-time buyer: is ¥1,530,000 enough cash after closing?

anika.dean

Tenant planning to buy
Established
I’m considering a 4-bed detached home in Osaka at around ¥55,080,000. The mortgage payment looks affordable, but after the deposit and estimated closing costs I would have roughly ¥1,530,000 left.

That remaining cash would need to cover moving, any ordinary work found by the inspection, furniture, insurance excess and the first mortgage payment. How would you divide it? I would rather lower my purchase ceiling than turn every small first-year problem into an emergency.
 
I would not divide all ¥1,530,000 into spending categories. First ring-fence an emergency amount that remains untouched, then subtract the first payment and confirmed moving and insurance costs. Repairs identified by the inspection come next; furniture comes last. If the essential items already consume most of the balance, the purchase price is too close to your limit.
 
The missing fact is what “ordinary first-year work” actually means. Worn finishes and an ageing roof are very different risks. Once you have the inspection, separate findings into urgent, likely within a year, and cosmetic. Also confirm whether your closing estimate includes every payment due around handover rather than assuming the ¥1,530,000 is all available.
 
I’m less comfortable with that buffer than luca.young seems to be. On a detached 4-bed, moving and basic setup can take a noticeable bite before any repair appears. You do not need to furnish every room immediately, but you may still face several modest costs at once. Buying slightly below ¥55,080,000 could provide more resilience than trying to allocate a very thin remainder perfectly.
 
Before reducing the offer, make a dated cash-flow list. Put closing day, moving day, insurance payment and first mortgage payment on it. Then add only inspection work that cannot reasonably wait. Timing matters: a buffer can look adequate in total but still fail if several payments land before the next salary arrives.
 
What are the “service charges” in this case? For a detached home, I would want to understand exactly what that label covers rather than automatically treating it as a recurring apartment-style fee. It may simply be wording in an estimate, but clarifying the amount and payment date could change the first-month calculation.
 
I’d also resist buying furniture as a package for all four bedrooms. Start with what makes the home functional: sleeping, eating, lighting and any essential window coverings or appliances not included. Empty rooms are inconvenient, not emergencies. That preserves cash until you learn what the house actually needs.
 
One caveat to the “repairs before furniture” rule: not every inspection comment requires immediate spending. Inspectors can identify maintenance items with different time horizons. Ask for priorities and, where appropriate, obtain cost estimates before closing. Otherwise a long report can make routine future maintenance look like one giant first-year bill.
 
A simple stress test: after paying the first mortgage instalment, moving costs, insurance-related amounts and truly urgent repairs, would enough remain for an unrelated household emergency? If the answer is no, I would either reduce the price, delay the purchase or rebuild savings first. The exact comfortable figure is personal, but ¥1,530,000 should not be treated as entirely spendable.
 
Agreed on getting actual dates and estimates, but I would decide on a minimum untouched reserve before seeing the inspection. Otherwise it is easy to justify spending the whole balance item by item. Then use the report to decide whether this particular home fits above that floor. If it does not, walking away or targeting a cheaper property is a reasonable outcome, not a failed purchase.
 
Back
Top