Osaka apartment inspection: seller repairs or concession?

SteadyPebble

Real estate agent
My response deadline is approaching, but the quickest settlement may leave me with the least control. An inspection of this 120 m² Osaka apartment identified legitimate, manageable work estimated at about ¥6,579,000. The seller is willing to have it completed, whereas I would prefer to select the contractors and control the scope.

I am comparing a closing credit with a reduction in the purchase price. A credit may provide repair funds but could be restricted by the lender; a lower price may be simpler yet leave less cash available after closing and could interact differently with the appraisal. I am confirming those points before making a request.

Would it make sense to ask first whether the seller values speed or certainty, then choose the structure the lender accepts? I also want any agreement to preserve the inspection and deposit protections rather than creating a new financing problem.
 
One detail behind my hesitation: accepting seller-managed work may settle the negotiation quickly, but the scope and finish matter as much as the headline amount. Before the response deadline, I’m trying to compare what each option actually leaves me able to do after closing, rather than treating ¥6,579,000 as interchangeable in every form.
 
If contractor control is the priority, seller-arranged repairs are the least attractive option. Between the other two, a credit is useful only if the lender and closing arrangements permit it in a form you can actually use. A price reduction is cleaner, but if most of the purchase is financed it may not leave you with equivalent cash for repairs. Get the lender’s answer in writing before proposing either.
 
I’d also ask whether the inspection items are entirely within the apartment or include anything treated as part of the building’s common elements. That could change who can authorize the work.

Also, what do completed comparables support? A repair estimate does not necessarily translate one-for-one into a lower appraised value. If there is already an appraisal gap, a price reduction may solve a problem that a credit does not.
 
Before choosing the concession, I would turn the inspection into an itemized negotiation: issue, estimated cost, responsibility, urgency, and whether it must be completed before occupancy. Then ask the lender what concession is acceptable and ask the seller whether the offer to manage repairs reflects a preference against reducing the recorded price. Keep the inspection protection and response deadline visible throughout; letting either lapse could expose the deposit while the parties debate structure.
 
I wouldn’t automatically reject seller-managed repairs. They can leave the seller carrying coordination and cost-overrun risk before closing, while a fixed credit leaves the buyer with anything above that amount. The trade-off is control and confidence in the work.

A practical response could present two acceptable paths: buyer-controlled work with the maximum lender-permitted concession, or seller completion under a tightly defined scope with an agreed way to verify completion. Financing proof may also reassure the seller that this is an inspection negotiation, not uncertainty about the purchase itself. Local contract wording matters, so confirm the deposit and deadline consequences before signing an amendment.
 
Back
Top