Osaka 1-bed: how should I split ¥6.12m after closing?

lena.voss

First-time buyer
Established
The remaining cash looks substantial on paper. My concern is how quickly it could shrink around completion.

The Osaka 1-bed costs about ¥48,200,000, and I expect to retain approximately ¥6,120,000 once the deposit and projected purchase expenses are paid. That amount still has to cover the move, building charges, the first mortgage instalment, insurance excess and any ordinary inspection items.

How much would you keep completely untouched, and how much would you assign to moving, initial work and essential furniture? I can delay non-essential furnishing, but I do not want payment dates immediately after closing to force me into using the emergency fund.
 
As a starting allocation, not a rule: ¥3,000,000 untouched for emergencies, ¥1,000,000 for inspection-related work, ¥600,000 for moving and setup, ¥400,000 for essential furniture, and ¥1,120,000 for payment timing, service charges and an insurance excess. The important part is that the emergency portion stays untouched unless something genuinely unexpected happens.
 
The missing figure is your normal monthly spending after purchase. How many months would ¥3,000,000 cover once the mortgage, building charges, utilities, food and other commitments are included? Also, do you know when the first mortgage payment and service charges fall due? A respectable cash total can feel much smaller if several payments cluster just after closing.
 
I wouldn’t begin with fixed yen amounts as kenjio_318 has. Set the emergency fund in months of essential expenses, then size the repair allowance from the inspection. Someone with stable income and low monthly costs may need a different split from someone whose income varies. The ¥6,120,000 total matters less than what remains genuinely uncommitted.
 
For the inspection, sort findings into three groups: safety or damage that needs prompt attention, maintenance that can wait, and cosmetic items. Only the first group should automatically reduce the immediate-repairs pot. Buyers can burn through cash by treating every scratch, fitting and dated finish as urgent.
 
Furniture is the easiest category to delay. Budget for what makes the condo functional on day one, then live there before filling every space. A 1-bed can also feel crowded quickly, so waiting helps you avoid buying pieces that turn out to be the wrong size or unnecessary.
 
The distinction between cash existing and cash actually being available is helpful. My ¥6,120,000 estimate is already after the deposit and estimated closing costs, but I haven’t mapped the service charges and first mortgage payment onto the same cash-flow calendar. I’ll do that before deciding how much can safely go toward repairs or furniture.
 
Ask for the exact amount and due date of every payment expected around handover rather than relying on a broad closing-cost estimate. Include the first mortgage payment, building service charges, insurance payment, moving invoices and any amount payable before work starts. Keeping those on one calendar should expose any short-term squeeze.
 
One condo-specific caveat: an inspection of the 1-bed may tell you about the unit but not settle the condition or future costs of the wider building. Ask what building-level work and charges are already expected. I would keep part of the repair allowance unassigned until you understand both the apartment and the shared property.
 
I’d make three columns: committed before getting the keys, due soon after moving, and optional. Put service charges, insurance and the first mortgage payment in the first two columns even if the dates are estimates for now. Furniture upgrades belong in optional. Then calculate the emergency fund from ongoing monthly essentials, not from whatever happens to be left.
 
There is a risk of creating too many little pots and pretending they are independent. Cash can cover whichever genuine problem appears first. I’d use only two buckets: money that must not be spent casually, and a smaller move-in budget. Keep furniture, cosmetic work and non-urgent repairs competing within that second bucket.
 
That’s fair mechanically, but labels can still stop the move-in budget expanding. If furniture and cosmetic repairs share one cap, I agree they don’t need separate bank accounts. I would still list them separately on paper so a sofa purchase doesn’t quietly consume money intended for a repair identified during inspection.
 
A sensible decision rule is to work backwards. Reserve enough for several months of your actual essential expenses, add every known payment around closing and moving, then add only the urgent work supported by the inspection. Whatever remains is the initial furniture budget. If that result feels too thin or leaves no room for an insurance excess or building surprise, lowering the target price is safer than assuming nothing will go wrong.
 
Back
Top