Older Johannesburg townhouse: add a sewer scope to the inspection?

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
I have a general inspection booked for an older 195 m² townhouse in Johannesburg, but it excludes the private sewer line. There are mature trees near the street, and I have been given a ZAR 127,400 estimate for a full replacement if one proved necessary. A separate scope costs far less.

Would you add it without obvious drainage problems, or is it normally reserved for warning signs? I am also trying to think beyond that first yes/no decision: if the inspection uncovers something, how should I balance immediate repairs against moving costs, the first mortgage payment and keeping an emergency fund?
 
I would add the scope. The replacement figure may never become relevant, but the difference between the cost of investigating and ZAR 127,400 makes the uncertainty worth reducing. Older pipework plus nearby trees is enough reason even without slow drains. Ask for the footage and a clear description of where any defect sits, not just a verbal pass or fail.
 
Before booking it, find out exactly which section is private. In a townhouse development, the important question is whether the line being inspected serves only this home or joins something maintained collectively. Also, what was the ZAR 127,400 estimate based on if nobody has scoped the line yet?
 
Mila’s second question is important. That estimate could be a useful worst-case allowance, but it should not anchor the whole decision unless it relates to this particular route, depth and access. I would also ask whether the camera can reach the connection point. A partial inspection that stops at an inaccessible bend may not resolve much.
 
I’m less convinced that the price gap alone makes the scope automatic. It is worthwhile only if the result can still affect the purchase, price discussion or repair plan. If the transaction is already effectively committed, first establish what options remain. I’d still investigate recurring blockages, root intrusion or damaged pipework, but the timing changes the value of the information.
 
Don’t fund every possible extra by emptying the post-purchase reserve. List the unavoidable cash needs first: moving, service charges, insurance excess, the first mortgage payment and any inspection findings that affect immediate use of the home. Furniture can usually wait. A sewer scope may actually protect the emergency fund by replacing a vague six-figure risk with better information.
 
Ask for three practical details before agreeing: what length of line is included, whether you receive usable footage, and what happens if access is blocked. Then check any finding against the general inspection rather than treating a minor camera observation as an automatic replacement. Some results may point to monitoring or further investigation, not necessarily the full ZAR 127,400 job.
 
My order would be: clarify responsibility for the line, confirm whether the scope can cover the relevant section, and check whether the findings can still influence the deal. If all three answers are useful, book it. Then keep replacement money separate from the moving-and-first-payment budget until there is evidence that work is actually needed. The mature trees justify looking; they do not prove there is a defect.
 
Back
Top