Offering 9% below asking on a Manila villa — sensible or too aggressive?

good_vale

Real estate agent
Established
The 106 days on the market made me reconsider paying close to the asking price. This five-bedroom Manila villa is listed at PHP 13,920,000 and requires updating. Similar nearby properties have comparable asking figures, but there are too few completed transactions for me to judge the likely sale value confidently.

I am considering an opening offer 9% lower, supported by financing evidence and flexibility over completion. Is that firm without being needlessly confrontational? I can walk away if the price is wrong, but I will not give up the inspection or take on an unknown appraisal shortfall, repair bill or deposit risk.
 
Nine per cent is defensible, especially after 106 days, but present it as a valuation rather than a criticism of the villa. Keep the explanation short: limited completed comparables, updating required, clean financing and flexibility on timing. Include financing proof and a clear response deadline.

Do you know whether the seller values speed, certainty or the highest figure? I would retain inspection and financing/appraisal protections, and make sure deposit exposure is clearly addressed in the contract.
 
I don’t yet know the seller’s main motivation, so that is the missing piece. I’ll ask before submitting rather than assume 106 days means urgency. My inclination is a short written offer with a three-business-day response period, financing proof attached, and no detailed list of cosmetic complaints. I’d reserve any repair-credit discussion for issues found during inspection rather than using the same updating costs twice.
 
I would favour a complete, credible offer over a tight deadline. Three business days may be enough, but it could also create unnecessary resistance if the seller has to speak with family or review another proposal.

The appraisal condition deserves equal attention even when the financing looks solid. For example, if the lender values the villa below the agreed amount, decide beforehand between two paths: cover a gap only up to a fixed limit, or seek a reduction and leave if the seller refuses. That decision is more useful than forcing a quick answer now.
 
One practical way to handle it: submit the 9% reduction without an elaborate defence, ask for disclosure of known defects, keep inspection and financing/appraisal conditions, and limit the deposit until the circumstances in which it can be retained or returned are understood. The exact wording and deposit treatment will depend on the Philippine contract, so have that checked locally.

If they counter, compare the extra price with documented repair costs rather than negotiating against yourself in small increments.
 
Back
Top