Offering 9% below asking on a Helsinki condo — sensible or too aggressive?

bikesAndBirch

Buyer
Established
I need to decide how long to leave an offer open, but the harder trade-off is setting a credible price without giving up buyer protections. The Helsinki condo is listed at €699,200, has spent 114 days on the market and appears to need internal updating. One earlier transaction also fell through, though I’m told the seller is not under particular pressure.

There are similar listings nearby, but too few completed comparables for me to judge where buyers are actually agreeing deals. I’m considering a rounded opening offer around 9% under the asking price, supported by proof of finance and some flexibility over completion.

Would that package come across as serious? I intend to retain inspection and financing conditions, and I need to understand the valuation shortfall and deposit exposure before signing anything.
 
Nine percent below is roughly €636,000, so I’d submit it as a considered offer rather than defend every euro. Point to the time listed, updating required and uncertainty around completed comparables. Financing proof and flexibility make the package stronger.

Keep the response deadline reasonable and don’t waive inspection or financing protection merely to soften the price. The collapsed deal is a reason to investigate, not automatically evidence that the seller will discount.
 
The best outcome is a lower price supported by real costs, but visible cosmetic work alone may not justify the full 9%. I’d separate what you can see inside the condo from any building-wide repairs or charges, then ask what information is available about both.

The failed transaction is also worth querying directly rather than interpreting as seller weakness. Most importantly, set a cash limit for any difference between the agreed price and the lender’s valuation. If that gap would strain you, it should determine your ceiling before the offer goes in.
 
The updating is mainly what I can see inside, so I agree I shouldn’t present a speculative renovation total as fact. I also don’t know why the first deal collapsed; I’ll ask the agent directly, while recognising they may not be able to give much detail.

My plan now is a rounded offer near €636,000, financing proof, flexible completion and a short but not same-day response deadline. I’ll keep financing and inspection conditions, and make sure any deposit exposure is clear before signing.
 
That sounds measured, but I wouldn’t ask for repair credits at the same time as opening 9% low unless inspection reveals something genuinely new. Otherwise the seller may read it as two rounds of discounting.

Before submitting, decide your real ceiling and your response to a counteroffer. If completed comparables remain unavailable, base that ceiling on affordability, likely updating costs and the appraisal-gap risk—not on the asking price. Have the exact conditions and deposit consequences checked for the Finnish transaction before you commit.
 
Back
Top