Offering 8% below asking on a Tokyo townhouse after 73 days

gia.oak

Seller
The lack of solid completed-sale evidence is what makes the offer difficult to pitch. The Tokyo townhouse is listed at ¥140,800,000, has been on the market for 73 days and would need some updating, but the nearby asking figures do not show what buyers have actually paid.

I am considering starting 8% under the list price, with proof of finance and flexibility over completion. Would that come across as a serious offer if I keep the explanation brief? I also need to choose a response period that gives the seller time without letting the offer drift. I want to retain an inspection condition and avoid committing to cover an unlimited appraisal shortfall or putting too much deposit at risk.
 
Eight per cent below is not automatically insulting if the offer is presented as a serious package rather than a criticism of the home. Keep the rationale short: uncertain completed comparables, updating required, financing evidence attached, and flexibility on timing. Don’t claim 73 days proves overpricing—it may not.

I’d retain inspection and financing protection. Give a reasonable response deadline, but avoid making it look like an ultimatum.
 
Before choosing the number, can you find out anything about the seller’s motivation? A seller prioritising timing may value your flexible completion date; one with no urgency may simply wait.

I’d also be cautious about asking for 8% off and then seeking broad repair credits later. Reserve credits for defects discovered through inspection, not the updating already visible and reflected in your offer. Completed sales would be much more persuasive than nearby asking prices.
 
The appraisal gap and deposit exposure deserve attention before you submit. “Clean financing” should mean convincing proof that you can proceed, not accepting every valuation shortfall yourself. Decide in advance how much gap, if any, you could cover and what circumstances must allow you to recover the deposit; the exact drafting needs Tokyo-specific advice.

A practical offer note could separate price from terms: proposed amount, financing evidence, completion flexibility, inspection condition, financing/appraisal condition, and a clear but non-hostile expiry. That gives the seller several ways to counter instead of reducing everything to the 8% discount.
 
Back
Top