Offering 8% below asking on a Lima townhouse — sensible or too aggressive?

ravi_hayes

Real estate agent
The townhouse is listed at PEN 862,500 and has been available for 23 days. It needs updating, but nearby asking prices are fairly close and I cannot find enough completed sales to establish the actual market level.

I’m considering PEN 793,500, which is 8% below asking, backed by financing proof and flexibility on completion. How would you explain that offer without antagonising the seller? I want protection for the expensive unknowns, not a long inspection wish list. I’m also reluctant to take on an appraisal gap or put the deposit at risk if financing or a serious defect becomes an issue.
 
Present PEN 793,500 as a considered number, not a verdict on the property: limited completed comparables, updating costs and your ability to provide financing evidence and accommodate the seller’s timing. Ask the agent what matters besides price; motivation may determine whether flexibility has value.

I would retain financing/appraisal protection and an inspection condition focused on major structural or system defects. Give the offer a clear, reasonable response deadline rather than leaving it open-ended.
 
I’d be cautious about using the updating as the main justification unless you can attach realistic costs. Otherwise the seller may hear, “I dislike the finishes, so you should pay for my preferences.”

Do you know how the deposit would be treated if the lender’s appraisal comes in below the agreed price? The exact contract wording and local practice in Peru matter more than calling the financing clean.
 
One addition: don’t combine an 8% discount with a broad request for repair credits later. That can look like two attempts to renegotiate. Keep the initial offer based on market uncertainty and visible updating, then reserve credits or withdrawal for genuinely expensive defects uncovered during inspection.
 
Eight percent is not inherently insulting after 23 days, but the lack of completed comparables means it is also hard to prove. I’d submit the number once, with financing proof, flexible completion, a focused major-defect inspection condition, appraisal protection and explicit limits on deposit exposure. If the seller counters, compare the higher price with any appraisal gap you might have to fund rather than moving up simply to keep the conversation alive.
 
Back
Top