Offering 8% below asking on a duplex in Nairobi — sensible or too aggressive after 50 days

EarlyBrick

First-time buyer
Established
The offer has to be settled shortly, and I am trying to avoid two mistakes: opening so low that the seller dismisses it, or paying too much on weak evidence. The Nairobi duplex is listed at KES 29,020,000, has been available for 50 days and needs updating, but most nearby figures I can find are asking prices rather than completed sales.

I am considering KES 26,698,400, which is 8% below asking. I can show that funding is available and be flexible on the seller’s completion date, while keeping inspection and loan conditions. How would you explain that figure as a workable proposal rather than a judgment that the duplex is overpriced?

I am also considering a definite but reasonable response deadline and wording that deals with any appraisal gap. My preference is not to seek vague repair credits now; I would inspect first and raise only defects that can be documented.
 
The number is defensible as an opening position, but I would not overstate what 50 days proves. Present it as a workable offer based on the updating required and the limited evidence from completed comparables, not as a claim that the property is overpriced.

Include proof of financing, a clear deposit arrangement and a short but reasonable response deadline. Keep inspection and financing conditions. Also state what happens if the valuation creates an appraisal gap, so the deposit is not exposed while everyone argues about funding.
 
I’d avoid asking for both the full 8% reduction and unspecified repair credits at the outset. That can look like the opening discount is only the first of several reductions. Inspect first, then seek a credit for documented defects rather than general updating.

Before submitting, have the agent ask what matters to the seller: price, completion timing, or certainty. Flexible completion may carry more weight than another small move upward. Also get local advice on the wording and release of the deposit; “clean financing” should not accidentally mean waiving protection if the lender’s valuation falls short.
 
Back
Top