Offering 8% below asking on a detached home in Tokyo — sensible or too aggressive?

uma.wilde

Real estate agent
The house has been listed for 120 days. My concern is that an 8% discount may still look arbitrary without reliable completed-sale evidence.

This is my first Tokyo offer. The detached home is asking ¥102,500,000 and needs updating; nearby asking prices are comparable, but they do not show where deals are actually closing. I could support the offer with proof of financing and accommodate the seller on completion timing.

Should the explanation focus briefly on condition and the long marketing period, rather than presenting a catalogue of defects? I’m also unsure whether repair credits would make the proposal look less straightforward, and what response deadline would be reasonable.

The protections are harder to reverse than the opening price. I do not want to give up a proper inspection, put the deposit at unnecessary risk, or ignore a possible appraisal gap. Which contingencies would you keep, and what would you ask the agent about the seller’s motivation before submitting?
 
Back
Top