Offering 6% below asking on Warsaw student housing

daan.cane

Homeowner
The uncomfortable part is that I can find plenty of Warsaw listings but very little evidence of where comparable deals actually completed. This student housing property is asking PLN 5,016,000 and has been marketed for 39 days, which gives me some context but not a firm valuation.

I am considering an opening offer of PLN 4,715,040, exactly 6% below asking. It would come with proof of financing and flexibility on the completion date, while the explanation would be limited to the updating required and the weak completed-sales evidence.

Before submitting it, I plan to ask what the seller values most: price, speed or a particular completion date. I also need the deposit terms in writing and will retain inspection, financing and valuation protection because I cannot absorb a substantial appraisal gap. Is the proposed figure still a sensible opening on that basis?
 
Six percent is not inherently antagonistic, especially if the offer is clean and documented. Keep the rationale short: current condition, work required and uncertainty around completed comparables. Trying too hard to justify every złoty can sound adversarial.

Include financing proof, a realistic completion window and a clear response deadline. I would retain technical inspection and legal due diligence. Don’t waive an appraisal or financing condition unless you already know how you would cover any valuation gap.
 
That helps. Financing is arranged in principle, but my ability to absorb a large appraisal gap is limited, so I won’t waive that protection or the inspection. I’ll ask the agent whether the seller values speed, a particular completion date or price above everything else.

I’m also trying to clarify the scale of the updating before deciding whether to request any repair credit. The property-tax treatment and deposit wording will need separate confirmation rather than assumptions in the offer.
 
Waiting 39 days for more leverage or submitting the 6%-lower offer now both have drawbacks: the seller may not be under pressure, but delay will not necessarily produce better evidence. The time on market is tempting as a bargaining signal, though it does not reveal motivation by itself.

Before fixing the terms, I would ask whether the accommodation is occupied and request the available figures for income, running costs and planned works. Those facts could change both the price and the updating allowance. If the initial figure already reflects known work, avoid seeking a general repair credit for the same issue later.
 
Structure it so the seller can understand the whole proposal at a glance: price, financing evidence, completion flexibility, conditions and expiry time. The deadline should be firm without looking like artificial pressure.

For the deposit, make sure the agreement clearly addresses what happens if inspection, legal due diligence, financing or valuation fails. The exact effect depends on the Polish contract wording, so this is an area where local advice matters. If inspection finds specific unexpected defects, negotiate those rather than requesting a vague credit now.
 
The missing factor is seller motivation. Flexibility on completion is only valuable if it solves their problem, so asking the agent that question before submitting could improve the offer without increasing it.

I also wouldn’t let comparable asking prices create false confidence; they show competition, not completed value. Submit the 6%-below figure calmly, preserve protection against an appraisal gap and major defects, and decide your maximum in advance. If they counter, you can then judge whether the movement is supported by the property’s condition and operating information.
 
Back
Top