Offering 6% below asking on a Mumbai warehouse — sensible or too aggressive?

clear_wall

Seller
Established
The seller is still asking ₹50,940,000 after 64 days, but I am hesitant to treat the time on market as proof that they will negotiate. The Mumbai warehouse also requires modernisation, and the completed-sale evidence I have found is too limited to support the asking figure confidently.

I am thinking of starting 6% lower, backed by clear financing evidence and flexibility over completion. Is that a credible opening, or would it be better to learn more about the seller’s priorities first? I also want to preserve inspection, financing and valuation protections rather than risk the deposit if major defects emerge or the appraisal falls short. How would you frame that narrower offer without turning it into a catalogue of faults?
 
Six per cent below is not inherently aggressive; it puts the opening at ₹47,883,600. Present it as a supported offer rather than a verdict on the property: limited completed-sale evidence, updating costs, clean financing and flexibility on completion. Give a clear but reasonable response deadline. I would keep inspection and financing protection, especially where the valuation evidence is thin.
 
Before discussing percentage, is this definitely being financed and valued as a warehouse, and what does the “1 bed” element represent? That ambiguity could matter more than the updating. Also ask the agent what the seller values besides price: speed, timing, a larger deposit or fewer repair requests. Sixty-four days listed does not by itself reveal motivation.
 
I’d be cautious about leading with repair credits before an inspection identifies actual defects. Offering 6% less and simultaneously requesting an unspecified credit may look like two discounts. Make the initial price subject to inspection, then deal with documented repairs separately.

I also would not promise to cover an unlimited appraisal gap. If the lender’s valuation is materially lower, the extra cash required could exceed the saving you negotiated.
 
A short written offer seems best: ₹47,883,600, proof that financing is in place, the seller’s preferred completion window, and a defined response deadline. Keep the deposit exposure limited by clearly drafted financing, valuation and inspection conditions rather than relying on informal assurances. Because the appropriate wording and deposit treatment depend on the Mumbai transaction documents, have the clauses checked locally before signing.
 
Back
Top