Offering 6% below asking on a London retail unit after 16 days?

followTheOak

Property investor
I need to decide whether to offer soon, but the unit has only been listed for 16 days and I do not want speed to create unnecessary deposit risk. It is a London retail unit priced at £733,200, with updating required. Comparable asking prices exist, although I have found too few completed deals to support the seller’s figure confidently.

My proposed opening would be 6% under asking. I can provide financing evidence and accommodate the seller on completion timing, but I would keep the offer conditional on inspection, valuation and finance. Would you give only a short explanation based on condition and limited sales evidence, or include more detail?

I am also considering a reasonable response deadline rather than leaving the offer open. How can that be presented without sounding like an ultimatum, and should I state now that a low valuation would lead to renegotiation rather than a larger cash contribution?
 
I’d submit the 6% reduction plainly rather than trying to justify every pound: condition, limited completed evidence, and your ability to proceed. Attach financing proof and emphasise the flexible timing. A reasonable response deadline is fine, but avoid making it sound like an ultimatum. I would keep the offer subject to contract, inspection, valuation and finance.
 
Is the unit vacant, owner-occupied or tenanted? That missing detail could matter more than the cosmetic updating, particularly when judging the seller’s motivation and what evidence supports the price.

Also decide now what happens if the lender’s valuation is below your offer. Can you cover that gap without putting too much deposit at risk, or would you reduce the offer or walk away?
 
I slightly disagree that the condition alone gives you much leverage after only 16 days. The seller may simply wait, especially if the updating is already reflected in the asking price. Still, 6% is not inherently antagonistic if the offer is clean and politely presented.

I’d avoid requesting a repair credit at the outset as well as applying the full discount; that can look like double counting. Inspect first, then renegotiate only if specific defects justify it. Before exchange, have the deposit exposure and any finance or valuation conditions made clear by the solicitors rather than relying on wording in the initial offer.
 
Back
Top