Offering 5% below asking on a mixed-use building in Lisbon — sensible or too aggressive?

fair_bridge

First-time buyer
Established
One approach is to open close to asking and negotiate after inspection; the other is to reflect the visible condition in the first number. I am leaning towards the latter on a Lisbon mixed-use building listed for €1,086,000, but I do not want to count the same repairs twice.

It has been marketed for 43 days, and nearby listings support the general price level. What I lack is a useful set of completed sales showing what purchasers have actually paid. Would an opening offer 5% under asking be measured rather than provocative if it came with financing evidence and a flexible completion date?

I also need to decide which conditions cannot safely be softened. Inspection, finance, valuation and the circumstances in which the deposit is recoverable all seem important, particularly with mixed use.
 
Five percent below is about €1,031,700, which does not strike me as an insulting opening in those circumstances. Keep the explanation short: condition, limited evidence from completed comparables, and your ability to proceed cleanly. Avoid presenting a long list of defects as though you are prosecuting the building.

I would retain inspection and financing protection. With mixed use, I would also want the legal use and any occupational arrangements verified before making the deposit difficult to recover.
 
That distinction helps. There is updating I can see, but I do not yet know whether it is merely cosmetic or likely to become a larger cost after inspection. Would you include estimated works in the first offer, or hold those back and request a repair credit only if the inspection reveals something material? I’m wary of appearing to negotiate the same issue twice.
 
I would not price detailed works before you have evidence. Base the opening amount on the building’s present condition and the weak completed-sales picture, then state that it remains subject to inspection. If material problems emerge, you can seek a credit, revise the price or leave if the agreed terms permit it.

Also give the offer a clear but reasonable response deadline. It keeps the process moving without manufacturing urgency.
 
If you need to settle on an offer soon, do not let the 43-day marketing period choose the number for you. It creates some negotiating context, but it says little about whether this seller is under pressure or content to wait.

A lower figure may still be attractive if your funding is documented and the timetable suits them. I would first ask whether other bids have been made and what completion date the seller wants. Then use the 5% reduction only if it remains defensible on condition and the limited completed-sale evidence, not as an automatic days-on-market discount.
 
The appraisal gap deserves more attention. If the lender’s valuation comes in below the agreed price, can you cover the difference without compromising the renovation budget? Do not let “clean financing” accidentally imply that you will absorb any valuation shortfall. The written offer should make that point unambiguous, subject to whatever wording is appropriate in Portugal.
 
Deposit exposure would be my line in the sand. Before paying anything substantial, have a Portuguese solicitor explain exactly when it becomes non-refundable and whether the inspection, financing and document conditions are reflected in the binding paperwork. A reassuring email or verbal understanding is not the same thing.

For a mixed-use building, the permitted uses, current occupancy and any lease arrangements also need to match what you think you are buying.
 
A practical sequence could be: submit €1,031,700 with financing evidence, flexible completion and a defined response period; keep inspection, satisfactory finance/valuation and legal due diligence; then negotiate only documented material defects. If the seller counters, compare the extra price with your renovation allowance and possible appraisal gap rather than moving upward automatically. Five percent is just the opening—the maximum total exposure is the real decision.
 
Back
Top