Offering 4% below asking on a villa in Atlanta — sensible or too aggressive?

kai_cole

Buyer
Established
Getting the price wrong could leave me either covering an appraisal gap or losing a workable deal over a relatively small amount. The Atlanta villa is listed at $790,000, has spent 106 days on the market and will need updating, but I cannot find enough completed sales nearby to support a firm valuation.

I’m considering $758,400, which is 4% under asking, backed by proof of financing and flexibility over closing. Would it be better to justify that with a short note about the limited sold comparables and renovation budget, rather than criticising the property? I would keep inspection and financing protection. I’m less certain about the appraisal contingency, deposit exposure and how long a response deadline to give the seller.
 
Four percent below doesn’t sound inherently antagonistic after 106 days, provided the offer is presented as evidence-based rather than as a criticism of the villa. Keep the explanation short: limited completed comparables, anticipated updating costs, and your ability to offer a convenient closing date. Financing proof makes the price more credible. I would not waive inspection merely to make the number look stronger.
 
The missing fact is seller motivation. Has the listing agent indicated whether they want speed, a particular closing date, or simply the asking price? Flexibility has value only if it solves their problem. I’d also ask whether there have been earlier offers or price changes, without assuming they must disclose details.
 
I’d be cautious about leaning too heavily on the 106 days. Time on market can strengthen your negotiating position, but it doesn’t prove the villa is overpriced. The seller may be patient or may already have rejected similar offers. Completed comparables should drive your ceiling; the updating work should shape either the price or requested credits, not become a vague list of complaints.
 
Structure it as a clean offer with a separate, brief rationale. Don’t send a long renovation budget before inspection. State the offered price, attach financing proof, give the seller a clear response deadline, and identify your closing flexibility. Keep normal contingencies clearly written rather than hiding them behind phrases such as “subject to due diligence.” The exact wording and deposit terms should be checked locally.
 
I disagree slightly about using updating costs in the opening rationale. Cosmetic preferences are easy for a seller to dismiss because the next buyer may not share them. Offer $758,400 based on the uncertainty in completed sales, then let the inspection identify actual defects. If repairs emerge, decide whether to request a credit, a repair, or walk away under the agreed terms.
 
Don’t overlook the appraisal gap. Financing proof shows you can pursue the loan, but it doesn’t establish that the property will appraise at the contract price. Before offering, decide whether you would contribute extra cash after a low appraisal, renegotiate, or terminate if the contract permits. Avoid promising an unlimited gap merely to make a below-asking offer seem stronger.
 
A short response deadline can keep the offer from drifting, but an unnecessarily tight one may irritate the seller more than the 4% discount. Give enough time for a considered response. Also map out exactly when the deposit becomes exposed and which contingency deadlines protect it; those dates matter more than calling the financing “clean.”
 
I’d proceed at $758,400 if that is genuinely supported by your budget and the information available, while expecting a counteroffer. Before submitting, settle three limits: your maximum price, any appraisal-gap cash you can tolerate, and the deposit you could lose after contingencies expire. Then ask about the seller’s preferred closing date, provide financing proof, retain inspection and financing protection, and use completed sales—not competing listings—to reassess any counter.
 
Back
Top