Offering 4% below asking on a London retail unit — sensible or too aggressive?

leo.winter

First-time buyer
After another look at the figures, I’m wondering whether to seek a lower price or leave the price closer to asking and request a credit for the updating work. The London retail unit is listed at £265,200 and has been on the market for 26 days, but I still have too few completed sales to judge the seller’s position confidently.

My initial figure would be 4% under asking, backed by proof of funds and some flexibility over completion. Would that strike a sensible balance, or would a repair credit be easier to justify? I would still want the survey, valuation, finance and legal checks protected. I’m also unsure whether to allow two working days for a response or avoid a deadline unless there is competing interest.
 
Four per cent below is not inherently aggressive, especially if the updating costs are real. Keep the rationale short: limited completed evidence, current condition and certainty of funding. Don’t present a long list of cosmetic faults as though you are trying to wear them down.

I would retain satisfactory inspection, legal due diligence and lender approval. Financing proof can strengthen the offer without making you absorb an unexpected valuation gap.
 
The missing fact is seller motivation. Is the unit vacant, occupied, or being sold with a business or tenancy in place? Twenty-six days alone does not indicate pressure.

I’d also ask the agent whether any previous offer failed and whether price, timing or conditions caused it. A rigid 24-hour deadline could undermine the “flexible buyer” message; a couple of working days feels more credible unless there is active competition.
 
It is vacant and the sale is for the retail unit itself, not a business. The agent has only said the seller would prefer a straightforward transaction, without explaining the reason for selling or mentioning a failed offer.

I’ll avoid an artificial 24-hour deadline and give two working days. My proposed £254,592 will be supported by financing evidence, but remain subject to inspection, legal work and the lender’s valuation. I’m leaning toward raising specific defects later as repair credits rather than trying to price every possible update into the opening note.
 
I disagree slightly on postponing all repair discussion. If obvious updating needs are already part of the £254,592 calculation, say so now in broad terms. Otherwise the seller may accept your price and view a later credit request as a second negotiation.

Separate visible work from defects discovered during inspection. The former supports the initial discount; the latter may justify a revised price or credit if material.
 
Before submitting, decide your maximum cash exposure if the lender values it below the agreed price. “Clean financing” should not be interpreted as a promise to cover any gap.

Also clarify when any deposit becomes exposed and under what circumstances it is returnable with the solicitor handling the transaction, since that depends on the contract and jurisdictional details. The strongest offer here is not necessarily the highest one; it is the one whose funding, timetable and retained conditions are clearly stated.
 
Back
Top