Offering 4% below asking on a Johannesburg townhouse

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
A 4% reduction does not seem extreme on its face. My concern is supporting it with more than the fact that this Johannesburg townhouse has been listed for 33 days.

The asking price is ZAR 9,373,000, and the property needs some updating. Nearby listings sit at similar levels, but I still need completed-sale evidence to show what buyers have actually paid. Would financing proof and a completion date chosen around the seller’s needs make the offer meaningfully stronger?

I also want the written offer to be clear about its expiry and deposit treatment. I am not willing to lose essential inspection, financing or valuation protection merely to present it as clean, so which terms or supporting documents should be verified before submission?
 
Four percent below does not sound inherently aggressive, especially where the condition creates uncertainty. Keep the explanation short: the offer reflects the visible updating required and the limited completed-sale evidence, not a criticism of the home. Attach credible financing proof and state the completion flexibility clearly. I would not waive financing, inspection or any lender valuation condition merely to make the offer look cleaner.
 
What kind of updating are you seeing? Old finishes and worn flooring support a different argument from damp, roofing or electrical concerns. Also, has the agent said what timing the seller actually wants? A flexible completion date has little negotiating value unless it solves the seller’s particular problem.
 
I’d avoid leaning on comparable asking prices altogether. They show what other sellers hope to receive, not what buyers have agreed to pay. Ask whether the agent can provide relevant completed transactions and whether this townhouse has had any price changes. Also, 33 days on the market alone does not establish that the seller is under pressure.
 
The written offer matters more than a long rationale. Set out the price, financing condition, inspection rights, valuation treatment, completion flexibility and a definite expiry time. Be especially precise about when the deposit becomes exposed and what happens if a stated condition is not satisfied. Those provisions should be checked against the actual South African sale agreement rather than assumed from general forum advice.
 
I would not ask for a 4% reduction and speculative repair credits at the same time. Base the initial number on the visible condition. If an inspection later identifies a significant defect that was not apparent, then discuss a credit or price adjustment supported by that finding. A list of cosmetic preferences presented as “repairs” may make the seller defensive.
 
Don’t overlook the appraisal gap. Financing proof shows that you can pursue the purchase, but it does not guarantee that a lender will value the townhouse at the agreed amount. Decide before offering whether you could cover any shortfall, would cap that contribution, or need the purchase to remain conditional on an acceptable valuation.
 
On the response deadline, give a specific date and time rather than saying the offer remains open indefinitely. It should be long enough for the seller to consider it properly, but not so long that you are tied up while they wait for another buyer. I would also avoid an artificially urgent same-day deadline unless there is a real reason for it.
 
Seller motivation is the missing piece. Ask the agent whether price, certainty or timing matters most, without expecting confidential details. You could present the offer as a simple package: 4% below asking, financing evidence, normal protections and completion arranged around the seller. That sounds more constructive than sending a calculation of every outdated finish.
 
Victor’s distinction is important. If the updating is mostly cosmetic, I’d keep the 4% opening but expect a counter rather than treating the discount as objectively proven. If there are signs of material defects, preserve the inspection condition and do not estimate repair credits before getting proper information. Mila is also right that the 33 days should not be portrayed as seller distress.
 
My practical sequence would be: request whatever completed comparables are available, ask about the seller’s preferred completion timing, obtain clear financing proof, and decide your maximum price and appraisal-gap exposure before submitting anything. Then make one concise offer with a fixed expiry and ordinary protections. I would not increase the deposit simply to signal seriousness unless the agreement clearly limits when that money can be lost.
 
Back
Top