Offering 4% below asking on a Denver duplex

ari_cedar

Real estate agent
Established
I’m considering a duplex in Denver listed at $1,255,000. It has been available for 29 days and needs updating. Nearby asking prices look similar, but I haven’t found enough completed sales to feel confident about the actual clearing price.

Would opening 4% below asking be sensible if I include solid financing proof and flexibility on the completion date? I’d like to explain the offer without antagonising the seller. I also want inspection protection for expensive unknowns rather than a long repair list. Which contingencies would you keep, particularly around appraisal and deposit exposure?
 
Four percent below is about $1,204,800, which doesn’t strike me as an insulting opening after 29 days. Keep the explanation short: limited completed comparables, updating required, strong financing proof and flexibility on timing. Don’t itemise cosmetic work.

I would retain inspection, financing and appraisal protection unless you can comfortably fund an appraisal gap. Before submitting, ask whether the seller values price, timing or certainty most. Give a clear but reasonable response deadline rather than trying to force an overnight decision.
 
I’d be cautious about making the offer sound too formulaic. The missing completed sales matter more than the 29 days alone, and a seller may simply counter.

For inspection, define your priorities in advance: major structural or system issues, not minor defects. If something expensive appears, request a focused credit or reconsider the purchase. Also confirm exactly when the deposit becomes exposed under the proposed contract; that depends on the contract terms and local practice.
 
Back
Top