Offering 4% below asking on a coastal home in Boston — sensible or too aggressive?

luca_oak

Property investor
The previous deal falling through is the detail that made me reconsider how aggressive to be. This Boston coastal home is listed at $965,000, has spent 26 days on the market and needs updating, but the seller does not seem under pressure.

I am considering starting 4% under the list price. Financing is in order, and I can be flexible about the closing date, but I would keep both inspection and financing protections. Asking prices nearby are broadly similar; the problem is the lack of solid closed-sale evidence supporting the value.

Would the earlier failed transaction make a well-explained offer more attractive, or simply make the seller wary of conditions? I would prefer repair credits to seller-managed work. I am also unsure how much appraisal-gap exposure or deposit risk to accept without knowing why the first agreement ended. Is that the fact to establish before setting the offer amount and response window?
 
Back
Top