Offering 3% below asking on a serviced apartment in Nairobi — sensible or too aggressive after 23 days

nia.voss

Homeowner
Established
The seller is asking KES 182,500,000 after 23 days on the market, and I am hesitant to go in too low when the evidence from completed sales is limited. The serviced apartment also requires updating, so paying the full figure is difficult to justify.

I am considering KES 177,025,000, which is 3% below asking, with financing evidence and flexibility over completion. Would that come across as a credible opening position? I would keep the explanation focused on the available sales evidence and likely updating costs rather than criticising individual features.

I do not want to give up inspection, financing or valuation conditions. I am also unsure whether to request any repair credit now or wait for the inspection to identify actual defects. What response period would be firm enough to keep matters moving without making the offer look unnecessarily hostile?
 
Three percent does not sound aggressive in that context. Keep the explanation short: limited evidence from completed sales, updating costs and your ability to offer a straightforward timetable. Proof of financing and flexibility may matter more to the seller than another small movement in price.

I would give a clear but reasonable expiry rather than leaving the offer open indefinitely. Keep inspection, legal due diligence and financing/valuation conditions, with the precise wording handled locally.
 
What gives me pause is that 23 days may say very little about the seller’s willingness to negotiate. If they value a quick, dependable completion, the financing evidence and flexible timing could support the 3% reduction; if they are prepared to wait, a tight deadline may simply produce a rejection.

I would first ask what the seller needs from the transaction and get a precise breakdown of the services, charges and obligations attached to the apartment. Then set an expiry that matches their circumstances rather than relying on the time on market alone. That also gives you a better basis for deciding whether KES 177,025,000 reflects the full ownership cost.
 
I would push back slightly on requesting both a 3% reduction and repair credits at the outset. If the updating is visible and already reflected in your offer, asking for credits as well can look like double counting. Offer the lower price now, then reserve credits for defects actually identified during inspection.

The valuation condition is important too. Decide in advance what happens if the lender’s figure is below the agreed price; otherwise an appraisal gap can turn into unexpected cash exposure. Make sure the deposit terms do not leave you exposed while valid conditions remain unresolved.
 
Agreed on separating cosmetic updating from inspection defects. I would submit KES 177,025,000 with financing evidence, a flexible completion window and a concise response deadline. The note can say the price reflects the available comparable evidence and anticipated updating, not a list of complaints.

Then have a Kenyan property lawyer confirm the inspection, valuation, financing, due-diligence and deposit wording before signing. If the seller counters, you can trade price against timing rather than waiving protections.
 
Back
Top