Offering 3% below asking on a new-build flat in Rome — sensible or too aggressive?

travelsAndGrove

Property investor
Established
The flat has now been listed for 32 days, which raises a new question: is that long enough to support an offer below the €1,196,000 asking price, or still too early to infer anything about the seller’s position?

It is a new-build flat in Rome, although there are finishes and updates I would want to address. Similar nearby listings support the general price range, but completed sales evidence is thin. I am considering opening 3% lower and pairing that with proof of financing and flexibility over completion.

If the updates are merely personal preferences, I would keep the price explanation brief. If inspection findings reveal unfinished work or defects, that would be a different negotiation. I also do not want a modest discount to come at the cost of financing, appraisal or inspection protection, especially where the deposit may be at risk. How would you frame the offer while still testing whether the seller values speed or certainty?
 
Three per cent below does not sound aggressive. I’d keep the explanation brief: the offer reflects the updates required and the limited evidence from completed sales, while your financing proof and flexible completion make it straightforward.

I would not weaken inspection protection just to win a modest discount. Put a clear response deadline on the offer so it does not remain open indefinitely.
 
What does “needs some updating” mean on a new build? Cosmetic choices are different from unfinished work or defects. If you list every disliked finish as justification, the seller may simply say those preferences were already reflected in the price.

Also, do you know whether the seller wants speed, certainty or a particular completion date? That may matter more than the 3%.
 
I agree about finding the seller’s motivation, but I wouldn’t over-explain the price. A detailed critique can antagonise them more than a clean number does. Submit the offer with financing proof, your preferred contingencies and two completion options. Let the seller counter if the amount is the sticking point.
 
The updating is mainly finishes rather than obvious defects, so Gabriel’s distinction is helpful. I’ll avoid presenting personal taste as damage. I also don’t yet know the seller’s preferred timing, but I can ask before submitting.

My revised plan is a concise 3%-below offer, financing evidence, flexible completion choices and a short response period. I’ll keep inspection and financing protection rather than trying to make the offer look stronger by taking on risks I cannot quantify.
 
Be careful not to mix repairs and negotiation twice. If the 3% reduction is explicitly for visible updating, then later requesting credits for those same finishes may look inconsistent. Reserve any repair-credit discussion for material issues uncovered during inspection.

The appraisal gap deserves separate thought too: decide in advance whether you could cover any shortfall, renegotiate, or walk away under the wording agreed. The consequences depend on the contract and Italian process, so have the deposit exposure explained before signing.
 
Set three numbers privately before making the offer: your opening amount, your maximum price, and the largest appraisal gap or repair cost you could absorb. That prevents a counteroffer from turning into an emotional decision.

Thirty-two days on the market is useful context, but it does not reveal seller pressure by itself. A polite 3% opening, backed by evidence that you can complete, leaves room to negotiate without treating the asking price as proven market value.
 
Back
Top