Offering 2% below asking on a retail unit in Mumbai — sensible or too aggressive?

I would like to make a credible offer without paying the full ₹60,960,000, but the lack of completed comparables makes the opening figure difficult to judge. The Mumbai retail unit has been listed for 13 days, and the visible competing listings do not show where similar deals have closed.

My current thought is 2% below asking, supported by financing proof and flexibility on completion. Before fixing that number, I plan to obtain estimates for the required updates: if the work is modest, 2% may be enough; if it is substantial, I would leave more negotiating room or seek a repair credit. How much financial evidence would you include, and which inspection, valuation and final-financing protections should remain in the offer?
 
Two percent below is a measured opening, not an antagonistic one. Keep the explanation short: price, financing readiness, flexible completion and a reasonable response deadline. I would avoid an itemised attack on every dated feature. Provide enough financing evidence to show you can perform, while keeping the offer subject to satisfactory due diligence and final financing approval.
 
I’d actually question whether 2% is too cautious rather than too aggressive. The difference is ₹1,219,200, which could disappear quickly if the updating is substantial. Asking-price comparisons do not tell you what buyers paid. Without completed comparables, I’d want estimates for the necessary work before deciding whether 2% gives enough room.
 
Is the unit vacant, owner-occupied or subject to an existing occupancy arrangement? Also, what does “updating” mean here—mainly finishes, or work that could affect how you intend to use the space? Those answers matter more than 13 days on the market. They also determine what your inspection and document review need to cover.
 
I would not waive the ability to inspect the unit and review information material to its condition and permitted use. Nor would I accept open-ended deposit exposure while financing or valuation remains unresolved. The exact wording and process are jurisdiction-specific, so have the Mumbai transaction documents checked locally rather than relying on a residential-style template.
 
There’s another way to frame it: offer close to your number without trying to prove that the seller is wrong. Say the amount reflects your present assessment, including required updates, and highlight the clean financing and completion flexibility. Then ask whether the seller prefers a lower price with fewer repair requests or a higher figure paired with credits for agreed work.
 
I’d be careful with repair credits because they can complicate the comparison between the headline price and the actual economics. A straightforward lower price may be cleaner. Give a defined but reasonable response deadline; not an artificial few-hour ultimatum. Thirteen days is not enough by itself to infer urgency, so the agent’s response may reveal more about seller motivation.
 
The valuation risk deserves its own limit. Decide in advance how much of any appraisal gap you could cover without weakening the rest of the purchase. Financing proof shows seriousness, but it should not accidentally imply that you will pay any shortfall. Your offer should make clear what happens to the deposit if financing or valuation conditions are not met.
 
Before submitting, I’d make a one-page decision sheet: offer price, maximum counteroffer, estimated update cost, acceptable appraisal gap, deposit at risk, required inspections and latest workable completion date. That prevents a seller counter from turning a sensible 2% opening into an improvised decision. If completed sales remain unavailable, treat that uncertainty as a reason to preserve protections—not necessarily as a reason to walk away.
 
Back
Top