Offering 2% below asking on a coastal home in Birmingham

nia.moss

First-time buyer
I can either offer close to £978,900 and risk overpaying, or start 2% lower and risk the seller dismissing me before discussing terms. Neither feels comfortable because the property has been listed for 98 days and requires work, while the nearby evidence I can see consists mainly of asking prices rather than completed deals.

My proposed opening figure is about £959,300. I can demonstrate that the financing is in place and be flexible about completion, but I do not want to surrender the survey or valuation protections simply to strengthen the offer. Would you keep the explanation to condition and market time, or mention the shortage of reliable comparables as well? I am also weighing a response deadline against leaving room for a counteroffer, and I would rather reserve repair-credit discussions for significant survey findings.
 
A 2% reduction after 98 days is not inherently aggressive. Keep the explanation short: the offer reflects the time listed, updating required and limited evidence from completed sales. Emphasise financing readiness and the seller’s preferred completion date rather than presenting a long list of defects.

I would not waive the survey or mortgage valuation. Before discussing repair credits, ask whether the seller prioritises price, speed or certainty; motivation may matter more than the headline figure.
 
I’d avoid a tight response deadline unless there is a genuine reason for one—it can make an otherwise modest offer feel tactical. The missing fact is how you would handle a valuation below the agreed price. Decide your maximum appraisal gap and deposit exposure before offering, not after.

Also, don’t try to price every visible update now. Offer based on current condition, retain inspection protection, and reserve any request for a credit for significant issues the survey actually uncovers.
 
Back
Top