Offering 13% below asking on a villa in Vancouver — sensible or too aggressive?

cairn.common

First-time buyer
Established
Offering close to asking without reliable completed sales feels exposed, but choosing a 13% reduction simply because the villa has sat for 39 days feels arbitrary too. The Vancouver property is listed at C$1,856,000 and needs updating; nearby listings support the general range, though they do not show what buyers have actually paid.

Could a lower opening figure be presented through specific renovation items and the limited sales evidence, with financing proof and a completion date chosen to suit the seller? I would also need a sensible response deadline. Inspection and financing protection matter to me, particularly if the lender’s valuation creates a gap, so I do not want better presentation of the offer to mean taking on those risks.
 
Thirteen percent below is about C$1.615m, so I would support it with a short list of relevant completed sales and realistic updating costs rather than commentary about the seller’s price. Include financing proof and the flexible completion date, then give a reasonable response deadline. I would retain inspection and financing protection, including an appraisal-related condition if your lender could value it below the agreed price.
 
The missing piece is seller motivation. Thirty-nine days may matter, or it may mean nothing if they are comfortable waiting. Has the agent indicated whether there were previous offers, a failed deal, or a preferred completion date? I would also distinguish cosmetic updating from defects. The latter belong in inspection discussions; asking for both a deep discount and broad repair credits later could sour negotiations.
 
I partly disagree about presenting detailed renovation costs with the first offer. Sellers often see those as the buyer’s preferences, not a reason to reduce the price. Completed comparables are stronger. Keep the initial explanation factual and brief, while reserving inspection findings for later. Also understand exactly when the deposit becomes exposed; the wording and consequences depend on the contract and local practice.
 
Before submitting, ask for the best available completed comparables, clarify the seller’s timing, and have the lender assess the appraisal-gap risk at roughly C$1.615m. Make the offer attractive through financing evidence and completion flexibility, not by waiving essential protections. If the seller counters, decide in advance your maximum price and whether you would prefer a lower price or narrowly defined repair credits after inspection.
 
Back
Top