Offering 13% below asking on a small multifamily in Helsinki — sensible or too aggressive?

WideRoof

Property investor
Established
I can see a case for opening near €690,000 so the seller takes the offer seriously, but I can also see why €600,300 may be a reasonable starting point after 115 days on the market and with work required. The difficulty is that nearby Helsinki listings do not tell me what comparable small multifamily buildings actually achieved.

I can show that the funding is credible and offer some flexibility over the completion date. I am not prepared to surrender the inspection or financing conditions merely because the agent mentions another buyer. Would you regard 13% below asking as supportable on the evidence available, and how much explanation should accompany it?

Price is only part of the risk. I also need to set a reply deadline, decide how to handle repairs first revealed by inspection and establish what appraisal gap, if any, I could fund. I would rather make those decisions now than while reacting to a counteroffer.
 
The 115 days on market is the detail that makes the lower opening worth considering, although it does not prove that €600,300 is the correct value. Present the offer around the limited completed-sale evidence, the visible updating and your credible financing position, then include a sensible period for the seller to reply.

Keep the inspection and financing protections. An alleged competing buyer is not enough reason to absorb an unknown repair bill or appraisal shortfall. The next step is to decide in advance how much of any valuation gap you could cover, so a counteroffer does not force that decision under pressure.
 
What does “needs updating” cover, and is the building vacant or occupied? Cosmetic work supports a different argument from uncertain structural or building-system costs. For a multifamily, the income and occupancy position could also matter more than nearby asking prices.

Ask the agent which completed sales the seller relied on when setting €690,000. They may decline, but it puts the valuation issue back on something more useful than active listings.
 
I’d add one caveat to my first reply: don’t submit a 13%-below offer and simultaneously demand credits for every visible update. That can look like discounting the same work twice. Price the known condition into the initial offer, retain inspection protection for material findings, and discuss credits only if the inspection reveals something not already apparent.

Also, avoid an artificially short deadline. Enough time for a considered response is more likely to produce a counteroffer than a defensive rejection.
 
The appraisal gap and deposit exposure deserve hard limits before you offer. Financing proof may reassure the seller, but it does not guarantee the property will support the agreed price or that financing will complete. Decide in advance how much cash, if any, you would add after a low valuation and under what circumstances your deposit could be at risk. The exact wording and consequences depend on Finnish practice, so have the offer terms checked locally rather than relying on the agent’s pressure.
 
I’d prepare two figures: the opening €600,300 and an absolute walk-away amount after inspection and valuation. Otherwise a counteroffer can pull the discussion back toward €690,000 without resolving the missing completed-sales evidence.

You can also ask what the seller values besides price—timing, certainty or fewer post-inspection negotiations. Flexible completion may have real value, but only if it matches the seller’s motivation. If the agent keeps invoking another buyer, ask whether there is an actual competing offer and proceed according to your own limits either way.
 
Back
Top