Offering 12% below asking on a Chicago townhouse — sensible or too aggressive?

OrlaIves

Buyer
Established
Part of me thinks the condition and 27 days on the market justify a firm opening bid; the other concern is that starting too low could end the conversation before we learn the seller’s position. The property is a four-bedroom Chicago townhouse listed at $1,170,000, and we are considering an offer 12% below that figure.

We can provide clear financing evidence and be flexible on completion, but the comparable evidence is mostly current listings rather than settled deals. We have only tonight to respond. Before deciding, we need to confirm whether that deadline comes from the seller, set our maximum price, and understand what happens if the appraisal is low. We would retain inspection protection, but we are less clear about financing conditions, any appraisal-gap commitment and when the deposit could be at risk. How would you present the offer without turning the property’s faults into a long argument?
 
Twelve percent below is about $1.03m. That is aggressive, but not insulting if it is genuinely your price and you can accept losing the property. Keep the rationale factual: condition, expected updating and the limited completed comparable evidence. Avoid presenting a long list of everything supposedly wrong with their home.
 
Is the one-night deadline imposed by the seller, or is it your own timetable? Also, has the asking price changed during those 27 days? Those details would affect whether I opened at 12% below or moved closer to the number I could ultimately accept.
 
I would not describe financing as “clean” if you still need a financing contingency. Instead, make the offer credible with current lender documentation while stating the protection accurately. I also would not waive inspection merely to make a low offer look stronger; unknown work could erase the discount quickly.
 
Counterpoint: 27 days alone does not establish that the seller is ready for a large reduction. The property may simply have had limited exposure or the seller may be patient. Decide your walk-away price before submitting, because otherwise the opening number can become meaningless once a counter arrives.
 
Ask for completed comparables matching the townhouse as closely as possible, not just nearby listings. Similar bedroom counts can hide major differences in condition, outdoor space, parking or recurring charges. If the evidence remains thin, that uncertainty is a reason to preserve appraisal protection rather than guess confidently.
 
The seller’s preferred completion date may be more valuable to them than a slightly higher headline price. I would submit a short, courteous offer: price, strong financing evidence, flexible timing and standard protections. Let the number speak for itself rather than trying to persuade them that their asking price is unreasonable.
 
Be careful about combining a low opening with a promise to cover an unlimited appraisal gap. That could quietly turn a $1.03m offer into something much riskier. If you are willing to cover a gap, define the maximum from funds you can actually spare after closing and updates.
 
Before focusing on repair credits, decide whether you want defects remedied, credited, or simply reflected in the initial price. Asking 12% below because it needs updating and then seeking credits for the same visible items may irritate the seller. Inspection requests should be reserved for material findings you could not reasonably price in.
 
I disagree slightly with keeping every contingency untouched. Terms can be narrowed without being abandoned, depending on the contract and local advice. A focused inspection period may read better than broad uncertainty. But I would not reduce protection until you understand exactly when your deposit becomes exposed.
 
Seller motivation is the missing piece. Your representative can ask whether timing, certainty or price matters most, without expecting the seller to reveal a bottom line. A vacant property, an occupied property and a seller coordinating another move can produce very different responses—but do not assume any of those circumstances here.
 
Also separate cosmetic updating from building-level risk. With a townhouse, clarify what belongs to the individual property and what may be handled collectively, then read the available association information before your protection periods expire. A new kitchen budget does not account for every possible obligation.
 
Good point from Haruto Lee. I would ask the seller’s side one direct question tonight: “Apart from price, what terms would make this offer workable?” If they answer with timing, you have something useful to trade. If they only care about price, at least you know flexibility will not compensate for the discount.
 
One more distinction: your initial offer and your final ceiling are not the same. You could open at roughly $1.03m but decide in advance that you would make only one move, or none. Write down that ceiling before the response arrives so the seller’s counter does not reset your judgment.
 
Yes, and set a sensible expiry rather than manufacturing pressure. Give enough time for a real response, especially if the seller must consider the financing evidence and timing. A very short deadline attached to an aggressive offer can undermine the otherwise cooperative tone.
 
Do not let the deposit become the hidden concession. Confirm the amount, when it is due, the events that allow its return and what happens after contingencies lapse under the actual Chicago contract being used. That is jurisdiction- and contract-specific, so it deserves local guidance before signing.
 
My practical sequence tonight: obtain the best completed comparables available, estimate visible updating separately, choose the walk-away price, confirm available cash for any defined appraisal gap, and retain inspection and financing protections you truly need. Then submit a plain offer without an essay. The seller can accept, counter or decline.
 
And if they counter near asking, do not interpret that as proof your offer was offensive. It may simply reveal their position. Respond according to your pre-set ceiling and the completed-sale evidence. The aim is not to win the negotiation; it is to buy this particular townhouse only at terms you can carry.
 
Back
Top