Offering 11% below asking on a retail unit in Madrid — sensible or too aggressive (1 bed)

grain.brisk

Seller
Established
I can offer close to the €400,200 asking price and carry more of the uncertainty, or start 11% lower and risk ending the conversation. Neither feels comfortable because this Madrid property needs updating, has been marketed for 50 days, and there are too few completed comparables to give me confidence in its value.

I can provide evidence of financing and accommodate the seller on completion timing. I would keep the explanation short and focus on condition and limited sale evidence, but is there a better way to frame it? I am willing to walk away rather than remove inspection, finance or appraisal protection. I also need to understand how any valuation gap would affect the deposit.

One point may need clearing up first: it is described to me as a retail unit, despite the one-bedroom reference in the title.
 
An 11% opening offer is not inherently insulting if it is presented briefly and supported by the condition, limited completed-sale evidence and certainty you can offer. Include financing proof and a reasonable response deadline, but avoid an essay itemising every flaw.

I would retain inspection, financing and appraisal protections. Also make sure the deposit terms clearly address what happens if one of those contingencies fails; that wording is jurisdiction-specific.
 
Before debating the percentage, can you clarify whether this is legally and physically a retail unit or a one-bedroom dwelling? The title and description point in different directions, and that distinction could affect financing, valuation and what counts as a valid comparable.

I’d also ask why the seller is moving and whether there have been earlier offers. Fifty days alone does not reveal motivation.
 
Even setting that classification issue aside, I’m less convinced than Julia that the rationale will make 11% feel reasonable. If comparable asking prices are close and the seller is not under pressure, they may simply counter or ignore it. That does not mean you should bid higher—only that you should expect the possibility.

Keep the offer clean: price, financing evidence, completion flexibility, contingencies and expiry. For known updating costs, choose whether you want the lower price or a repair credit rather than muddling both. Do not promise to cover an appraisal gap unless you have decided exactly how much extra cash you could risk.
 
Back
Top