Offering 11% below asking on a new-build flat in Delhi — sensible or too aggressive?

CalmSparrow

First-time buyer
Before making an offer, I need to decide whether a lower opening number is worth the risk of losing the seller’s attention. The Delhi new-build flat is listed at ₹29,640,000, has been available for 30 days and appears to need further work.

I am considering starting 11% under the asking price, supported by financing evidence and some flexibility over completion. Nearby listings sit around the same level, but there are too few completed transactions for me to treat those advertised figures as value evidence.

The description of the work also needs clarifying. There is a meaningful difference between replacing finishes I dislike and correcting unfinished or defective items. Should I establish that first and base the offer on itemised costs? I do not want a lower price to come at the expense of inspection, finance or appraisal protection, and I am particularly concerned about when the deposit could become exposed.
 
An 11% opening discount is firm, but not inherently insulting if you keep the explanation factual. Point to the work required, the limited completed-comparable evidence and the certainty offered by your financing. Avoid presenting nearby asking prices as proof of value—they only show what other sellers hope to receive. Give the offer a clear but reasonable response deadline, and expect a counter rather than acceptance.
 
Before deciding on the number, is this an individual resale or a unit still controlled by the developer? Seller motivation could be very different. Also, what does “updating” mean on a new build—cosmetic preferences, unfinished items or actual defects?

I would not waive inspection protection merely to strengthen the offer. If the seller resists a price reduction, itemised repair credits may be easier to negotiate, although the wording and availability of those credits should be checked locally.
 
I’d be more cautious about appraisal and deposit exposure than about whether 11% sounds aggressive. Clean financing is useful, but it does not remove the risk that the lender values the flat below the agreed price. Set out what happens if there is an appraisal gap and when the deposit becomes non-refundable. Have the final contingencies and deadlines reviewed for the Delhi transaction rather than relying on a generic offer format.
 
Back
Top