Offering 11% below asking on a 3-bed condo in Lyon — sensible or too aggressive?

otis.elm

Buyer
Established
The Lyon condo I am watching has now reached 26 days on the market, which leaves me unsure whether to act or wait for better evidence. It is a 3-bed listed at €533,600, and the updating required makes an offer of about €474,900—11% lower—seem arguable, although nearby listings do not show what buyers have actually paid.

I can provide financing proof and accommodate the seller’s preferred completion timing. Would you explain the amount through condition and limited comparable evidence, or simply submit it and expect a counter? My own rule would be to negotiate the price for visible cosmetic work, but retain inspection, financing and valuation protection for material issues that are still unknown. I would only seek a later repair credit for something genuinely new.
 
The percentage alone is less important than whether you can support the number. Present it as a considered offer based on condition, the updating required and the limited evidence from completed comparables—not as a criticism of the seller’s price. Include financing proof, your preferred timing and a clear but reasonable response deadline. Expect a counter rather than acceptance.
 
Before choosing the figure, ask what “needs updating” actually costs and whether the seller has a timing constraint. Cosmetic work supports a weaker discount than major systems or hidden defects. Also, 26 days is not necessarily long enough to signal distress. Do you know whether there have been other offers or any price reduction?
 
I would avoid giving the seller a long itemised argument for €474,900. That can sound like you are prosecuting the property, and they may dispute every line. A short rationale plus evidence that you can proceed is enough. I’d also make the deadline practical rather than using a 24-hour ultimatum; aggression on both price and timing is more likely to close the conversation.
 
Do not trade away inspection protection just to justify the lower offer. The unknown condition is part of why you are discounting in the first place. Financing should also remain conditional if you genuinely depend on a loan, and the offer should address what happens if the lender’s valuation is below the agreed price. Deposit exposure and withdrawal terms need checking with the notary or adviser handling the French transaction.
 
I’m not convinced repair credits should be central here. If the updates are visible now, price them into the offer rather than agreeing a price and reopening negotiations later. A further reduction is more defensible only if an inspection reveals something materially different. Otherwise the seller may see an 11% discount followed by credit requests as double counting.
 
That distinction helps. The visible work is mostly why I’m considering the lower opening, but I do not yet have reliable quotes, so I’ll avoid presenting made-up line items. I’ll ask about prior offers, the seller’s timing and whether completed comparable evidence is available. I’m leaning toward a concise €474,900 offer with financing proof, flexible completion and a reasonable expiry, while keeping inspection, financing and valuation protection.
 
Set your appraisal-gap limit before submitting, not after a counteroffer. If the seller comes down but the lender values it lower still, decide how much extra cash—if any—you would contribute. “Clean financing” should mean organised and credible, not unlimited willingness to cover a shortfall or put the deposit at risk.
 
I’d use a simple sequence: establish your maximum price, confirm the scope of the visible work, submit the supported opening offer, and keep enough room for one meaningful counter. If the seller rejects it without engaging, you have learned something about motivation. If they counter, compare the new price with your own ceiling rather than letting the original €533,600 anchor the decision.
 
Back
Top