Offering 10% below asking on a San Francisco duplex

bridge.steady

First-time buyer
I’m looking at a San Francisco duplex listed for $315,000. It has been available for 111 days, needs updating, and one previous deal collapsed. The seller apparently isn’t desperate.

Nearby asking prices are similar, but I haven’t found enough completed comparable sales to feel confident about the actual market value. I’m considering opening 10% below asking—$283,500—with financing proof and flexibility on the completion date.

How would you explain that figure without antagonising the seller? I want a clean offer, but not at the cost of inspection, financing or appraisal protection. I’m also unsure how long a response deadline to give.
 
The price itself is not insulting if the terms are credible. Keep the explanation short: condition, updating costs and limited evidence from completed sales. Financing proof and flexibility may matter more than a long justification.

I would retain inspection, financing and appraisal contingencies. If the appraisal is low, you do not want an unlimited gap obligation or deposit exposure. Give a reasonable response deadline, but not one so tight that it looks like pressure. You can also say you’re willing to discuss repair credits after inspection rather than assuming every cost now.
 
I’d first ask why the earlier deal collapsed. An inspection problem, failed financing and a low appraisal point to very different risks.

I slightly disagree with emphasising the 111 days or sending a detailed defence of your number—the seller already knows the listing history, and too much argument can sound adversarial. Submit $283,500 with clear terms, request any available information about the failed transaction, and let the offer stand. “Clean” should mean organised and well-supported, not stripped of protections.
 
Back
Top