Offering 10% below asking on a mixed-use building in Delhi — sensible or too aggressive?

emery_leases

First-time buyer
Established
I’m looking at a mixed-use building in Delhi listed at ₹111,900,000. It has been available for 66 days and needs updating. Comparable asking prices are close, but I can’t verify enough completed sales to judge the actual clearing price.

Would opening 10% below asking be reasonable if I provide financing proof and offer a flexible completion date? I’d like to explain the price without antagonising the seller. I’m also unsure which inspection, financing and appraisal protections should remain. By “ask twice,” I mean I’m prepared to make an opening offer and one improved offer, rather than negotiate indefinitely.
 
Ten percent below isn’t automatically insulting. Keep the explanation short: time on market, present condition and the lack of reliable completed comparables. Attach appropriate financing proof and emphasise the flexible completion date.

Give the offer a clear but reasonable response deadline. That makes it a decision rather than the start of an open-ended conversation.
 
Before settling on the number, what do you know about the residential and commercial occupancy, permitted use and whether vacant possession is expected? Those points can matter more than cosmetic updating in a mixed-use purchase.

Also, does “clean financing” still depend on the lender’s valuation? If so, the appraisal gap is a real contingency rather than a minor detail.
 
I would not waive inspection protection merely to make the lower offer look stronger. Price the visible updating into the initial bid, then reserve repair credits for significant problems that were not reasonably apparent. Otherwise the seller may feel you are negotiating the condition twice.

Title, use and occupancy questions also deserve local legal review before any deposit becomes exposed.
 
The caveat is that 66 days does not prove seller motivation. With comparable asking prices close to this one, the seller may believe the price is justified and simply be waiting.

I’d have the intermediary ask what matters most to the seller: price, certainty or timing. Flexible completion only has value if it solves their particular problem. Don’t dress an uncertain estimate up as hard comparable-sales evidence.
 
That helps. I don’t yet have enough verified information on the occupancy and use position, so I’ll treat those as matters to resolve rather than assumptions supporting the price. The financing proof will show capacity without implying that valuation and due diligence are waived.

My current plan is a 10%-below opening with a concise condition-based rationale, flexible completion and a stated response deadline. Any improved second offer would depend on the seller’s response, not be promised in advance. I’ll keep inspection, financing/appraisal and satisfactory title/use protections, with deposit release governed by the written agreement.
 
Pay particular attention to deposit exposure. The agreement should be clear about when the deposit becomes non-refundable, what happens if financing or valuation fails, and how an unresolved inspection or property-use issue affects release. Those details depend on the contract and jurisdiction, so have Delhi counsel settle the wording rather than relying on an informal assurance from the seller’s side.
 
Set your appraisal-gap limit before offering. If the agreed price is above the lender’s valuation, decide how much extra cash—if any—you are willing and able to contribute. Financing proof does not require accepting an unlimited gap.

A financing contingency may make the offer less attractive, but waiving it could turn a successful negotiation into a funding problem.
 
I also wouldn’t assume there must be a second offer. Submit the opening package cleanly: price, financing proof, flexible completion window, response deadline and essential contingencies. Invite a counteroffer. If the seller responds, you can then decide whether better terms are justified.

After inspection, seek either a sensible repair credit for newly discovered material issues or reconsider the price—avoid stacking every possible reduction onto the original 10%.
 
Back
Top