Offering 10% below asking on a Helsinki apartment — sensible or too aggressive?

woodworksAndRoute

Property investor
Established
I’ve checked nearby Helsinki listings, the apartment’s 58 days on the market and the updating it needs, but the completed-sale evidence is too thin for me to judge the likely agreed value. The asking price is €1,086,000, and a previous transaction fell through, although the seller does not otherwise appear under pressure.

I’m considering starting at €977,400. My thought is to support the figure with the limited comparables, provide evidence of financing and allow flexibility on completion, while keeping both financing and inspection conditions. Is that a sensible structure, and how short should the explanation and response deadline be? I also want to understand any deposit risk, especially if the lender’s appraisal comes in low or the inspection finds a material problem.
 
The figure is defensible as an opening, but keep the explanation brief. State that it reflects the available comparable evidence, time on market and updating required; don’t send a long list of everything you dislike.

Make the offer easy to assess: exact price, financing proof, completion flexibility, a clear response deadline, and limited but meaningful conditions. I would retain financing and inspection protection. Deal with any repair credit only if the inspection identifies something material.
 
The missing fact is why the earlier deal collapsed. If it was buyer-specific, it tells you little. If valuation or the apartment itself caused trouble, that matters considerably.

Also, what does “clean financing” mean here? If the lender still has to accept the property valuation, don’t imply that financing is unconditional. A low appraisal could create a gap you must fund yourself. I’d ask the agent for completed comparables supporting €1,086,000 rather than relying on nearby listings.
 
Good distinction. By clean financing I mean I can demonstrate readiness and move without a complicated sale chain; I do not mean waiving the lender’s valuation or promising to cover any appraisal gap. I also haven’t received a useful explanation for the collapsed deal.

I’ll ask specifically for completed comparables and present €977,400 as evidence-based rather than as a criticism of the apartment. I’m leaning toward keeping both financing and inspection conditions, with flexibility on completion as the main concession.
 
I think 10% may still be too aggressive if comparable asking prices are close and the seller is not under pressure. Fifty-eight days alone does not prove a 10% discount. It could produce a counteroffer, but it could also make the seller treat you as unlikely to bridge the gap.

Be careful not to deduct a broad updating allowance now and then seek credits for the same work later. Reserve credits or renegotiation for genuinely new findings.
 
Put the whole proposal in writing and avoid negotiating against yourself. Include the €977,400 price, financing evidence, flexible completion options, a defined expiry, and clearly worded financing and inspection conditions. Before paying any deposit, have the written terms checked locally so you understand when it becomes exposed and when it is returnable.

If the seller counters, compare that number with completed sales and your maximum affordable appraisal gap—not with the asking price alone. That gives you a rational stopping point.
 
Back
Top