Offering 10% below asking on a coastal home in Dubai — sensible or too aggressive?

LuckyBridge

First-time buyer
The main constraint is the lack of completed-sale evidence, so I am unsure how firmly I can support my opening figure. The property is a two-bedroom coastal home in Dubai advertised for AED 2,569,000. It has spent 39 days on the market and would need some updating.

I am thinking of starting 10% under the asking price, backed by proof of finance and flexibility over completion. Is that likely to be seen as a credible negotiating position rather than an arbitrary discount? I also need to choose a sensible response deadline and protect myself if an inspection reveals problems or the appraisal leaves a financing shortfall. I do not want the deposit placed at risk by unclear wording.
 
Ten percent below is not automatically unreasonable, especially after 39 days, but present it as a supported offer rather than a criticism of the home. Keep the rationale brief: uncertain completed comparables, the cost of updating, financing proof and completion flexibility. Include a clear, reasonable response deadline. I would retain inspection and financing or appraisal protection, with the deposit consequences stated unambiguously. If defects emerge, a repair credit may be cleaner than asking the seller to complete work.
 
I’d first clarify whether “updating” means dated finishes or actual defects. The former supports a lower price less strongly because the seller may regard it as personal taste; the latter makes inspection protection essential.

Also ask the agent about seller motivation and whether they can point to completed comparables, not more listings. One caveat to Ivan’s approach: financing proof makes you credible, but it does not remove an appraisal gap. Before signing, have the deposit and valuation wording checked for the Dubai transaction rather than assuming a failed valuation automatically releases you.
 
Back
Top