Offering 10% below asking on a Bangkok villa — sensible or too aggressive?

coffeeAndField

First-time buyer
I need to choose a response deadline before submitting an offer, and the trade-off is between making it credible and keeping enough protection. The Bangkok villa is listed at THB 24,660,000, has been on the market for 117 days and requires updating.

I am considering THB 22,194,000, supported by proof of financing and flexibility on completion. That is 10% under the list price. I would explain the figure through the condition and the lack of convincing completed-sale evidence, rather than itemising every dated feature.

Flexible timing can be negotiated later, but losing inspection, financing or appraisal safeguards would be much harder to undo. Besides keeping those protections and limiting any appraisal-gap exposure, what should I check about the deposit, and what response period would be firm without looking artificial?
 
Ten percent below does not sound inherently antagonistic; the wording matters more. Present it as the price you can support given the limited completed comparables and condition, then pair it with financing proof and your flexible timing. A short, clear deadline is better than an artificial ultimatum.

Before submitting, ask what matters to the seller besides price. Also define when the deposit becomes exposed, and avoid agreeing in advance to cover an unlimited appraisal gap.
 
I’d be cautious about leaning too heavily on the 117 days. It may suggest motivation, but it does not prove the seller will discount. I also wouldn’t combine a 10% reduction with a vague request for later repair credits—that can feel like two negotiations.

Make the initial price conditional on a satisfactory inspection, then reserve credits for genuinely expensive findings. Have the deposit, inspection exit and financing terms checked for the specific Thai contract before signing.
 
Back
Top