Offer accepted on Madrid condo at €1,214,000 — nerves or warning sign?

NeatMap

Tenant planning to buy
€1,214,000 is the figure making me hesitate now that our offer has been accepted on a 2-bed Madrid condo. The commute is longer than ideal and the interior needs updating, although no unexpected problem has emerged and the usual checks are still pending.

For those who have completed a similar purchase, what separated normal commitment shock from a budget that was genuinely too tight? I’m thinking the inspection findings and our cash position after moving costs and the first payment may be the deciding factors: proceed if there is still a workable reserve, reconsider if ordinary repairs would immediately push us into it.
 
The feeling itself doesn’t answer the question; the numbers might. Work out what remains after moving costs, the first mortgage payment, service charges and any immediate repairs. Then keep the emergency fund separate rather than mentally spending it on furniture. If that leaves you with no breathing room, the anxiety is useful. If the budget still works under an unexciting month, it may simply be the shock of commitment.
 
I’d separate reversible compromises from permanent ones. Dated rooms and delayed furniture can be dealt with gradually; the commute cannot. What would your cash reserve be after completion, and have you included insurance excess and possible inspection findings?

Also, don’t let completed sales reassure you too easily unless they are genuinely comparable in location, condition, size and service charges. A fair Madrid price can still be the wrong purchase for your household if the monthly payment makes normal life uncomfortable.
 
Back
Top