Offer accepted on A$1.55m Sydney country home—cold feet or overstretched?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
After months of searching, our offer of A$1,550,000 on a 1-bed country home in Sydney has been accepted. I expected relief, but I’m now replaying every compromise: the commute, dated rooms, monthly payment and whether the school catchment should matter to us.

Nothing new has gone wrong, and we still have our normal checks. How do you distinguish ordinary first-buyer panic from a sign that the budget is too stretched? Completed examples near Sydney would help more than another market headline.
 
The feeling alone doesn’t tell you much; the post-purchase numbers might. Work out what remains after moving costs, the first mortgage payment, insurance and any immediate repairs. If that leaves a credible emergency fund, this may just be the shock of turning a search into a commitment. I’d also postpone furniture and cosmetic updates until the inspection findings are clear.
 
What is the actual door-to-door commute, and how much cash remains after completion? Those two facts could change the answer completely. Also, is the school catchment useful to you within a realistic ownership period, or are you treating it as resale protection? With a 1-bed, I wouldn’t pay extra for a catchment without being clear who the likely future buyer is. You’ll need the suburb or a tighter area before completed examples are meaningfully comparable.
 
I’d be more cautious than Clara. Buyer nerves are common, but they shouldn’t be used to wave away a payment that already feels uncomfortable. List the inspection findings, likely near-term work, recurring charges if any, insurance excess and the emergency fund left afterward. Then test a month containing both the mortgage and an unpleasant repair. If that picture still works, the dated rooms can wait. If it doesn’t, get jurisdiction-specific legal guidance on your position before taking further steps.
 
Back
Top